Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 March 2022

Meet Jesse the African Grey Parrot who is feeling happier now !


From time to time we post something completely different, and this story is a little different! Some readers may have already seen this story about a parrot who was so depressed and refused to talk after the death of his owner but has now found his voice again - including a bit of swearing. 😲

African grey parrot Jesse was taken in by an Animal Centre, near Ringwood, (a market town in south-west Hampshire, England), but it soon became clear to staff that he was struggling with grief and the sudden change in his environment.

Parrots - who learn to speak by hearing words and mimicking them - often have large vocabularies. But nine-year-old Jesse refused to speak, except for occasionally whispering ‘goodbye’ to RSPCA staff, and started to pluck out his own feathers.

Behaviour and welfare advisor Hannah Hawkins said: “He’d come into us after the death of his owner and we believe he’d been in the same home for his whole life and was much-loved so it’s not surprising he was struggling after such a sudden change. He seemed lonely and depressed after such a loss.”

Jesse got lots of attention and additional enrichment to help him while a new home was found for him.

Jesse went off to his new home in South Wales last month and is settling in well with dog behaviourist Rachel Leather, her family, and their two dogs and five cats.

As his confidence has grown the parrot has become much more cheeky, and potty-mouthed. He even loves to make fart noises.

Rachel from Aberdare said: “Within 24 hours of being home he was nattering away to himself.

“His personality is really coming out. He just makes us roar with laughter. He loves to make fart noises, make jokes and swear. His language is awful.

“I think he’s lived with a dog called Wellard in his previous home, or watched a lot of EastEnders, because he calls both of my dogs Wellard! He also says: ‘Jesse’s a good boy’ and then occasionally replaces that with: ‘Jesse’s a good girl’ and laughs.”

“He’s only been with us for a short time but I can’t imagine how we ever existed without him.

“He has settled in so well. Feather-plucking can be a difficult habit to break but he has some feather re-growth so that’s a good sign. He’s also started to play with his toys, interact with his foraging wall, and is even grinding his beak which is a signal of relaxation and contentment," added Rachel.

“The fact that he’s talking is a really good sign. I was surprised at how chatty he became because the staff at the centre said he was really quiet and had only said one word - ‘goodbye’ - a few times. It’s heart-breaking to think that’s all he’d say after suffering such loss.”

The cheeky parrot has also learned that Rachel’s partner calls her ‘Babe’ so shouts ‘Babe’ to get her attention and swears.

“I cannot wait to watch him grow in confidence and personality, and develop as he settles in more. We absolutely love him and it’s going to be a wonderful adventure with him joining the family."
Above words and picture taken from article here

Have you ever owned a parrot? Did he/she like talking?
As a child I can remember we had budgerigars, but they didn't talk!

All the best Jan 

36 comments:

Rose said...

What a wonderful read! I thoroughly enjoyed this.

No, I have never owned a parrot.

Tom said...

...I've never had a bird for a pet.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh this is a fun post! My Aunt had a bird that said Pretty Margaret to her every day...lots of times! We got the biggest kick out of it and my Aunt Margaret loved that bird. Thanks for the fun post and happy memories!

Sondra said...

I enjoyed this story I really hope he will learn to be happy again, Grief is a hard thing to go through...for animal and human.

Miss Val's Creations said...

What a happy turn around in this story. It must have been so horrible for Jesse. Then to find excellent caretakers followed by his new family is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I've never had a parrot before, but my wife and I knew a couple that had one, and that parrot used all kinds of profanity, which wasn't surprising, seeing for the most part, that's the only language that couple knew.

J.P. Alexander said...

Pobre lorito me alegra que este más feliz.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great story, and certainly made me smile!

bobbie said...

A wonderful story ~ I love that Jesse found a great home!

happyone said...

What a sad story but with a happy ending. Poor Jesse, glad he has a found a new home.
No, I've never had a parrot or a bird.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope Jesse enjoys his new home.
Coffee is on and stay safe

DrumMajor said...

At the "Take Home Maui" pineapple store and deli in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii is a talking parrot outside, in a huge cage on the wrap=around porch. There's a sign next to him about his cussing abilities. He's been there for years, and I'm not sure if he still is. He looked healthy and had not plucked his feathers though. Kinda cute actually. Might have learned his cussing from the sailors that frequented the Islands in the 1700s. Linda in Kansas

Jo said...

What a lovely story. Some say animals don't have feelings, it's stories like this which show that they do. I was bit by a parrot when I was a child, it was in a cage in a furniture store for some strange reason and I just had to poke my finger in the cage! It wouldn't let go and my mum had to open the cage to make it let go. I ended up having to have a tetanus jab as it broke the skin. It made me wary of poking my fingers where they shouldn't be!

eileeninmd said...

What a wonderful story. I am so happy that Jesse is doing so well in his new home.
He sounds like a fun bird to have around. Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

Elderberry-Rob said...

so lovely to know that little parrot is having a happy life in his new home.

Divers and Sundry said...

Parrots live too long for me to consider one as a pet. I'm happy this one has found a happy home :)

Giorgio said...

What a fantastic story!

I've never had a pet, as I have never had a house with garden/backyard.

All the best!

Bill said...

What a wonderful story. Glad Jesse is doing well. thanks for sharing!

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely story and so glad he had a happy ending. We had budgerigars as children, but no parrots.

Jenn Jilks said...

Parrots can be so difficult to raise. We had a parrot rescue group here. They live so long. They are complicated to manage, obviously.
There are many tragedies around seniors passing away and leaving pets. It's tough.
Happily there are some rescue agencies.

Christine said...

What a great story!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Glad he is doing well now. No I've never owned a parrot or bird.

Jeanie said...

This is not anything I'd heard about, so thanks for sharing this. I know animals grieve --I've seen it with Gypsy after Stimpy died. But oh, this is so dear. I'm glad Jesse has a new home and is happy there, doing well.

sandy said...

Oh I love this story's happy ending and new beginning. How sad he must have felt and saying "goodbye" just gives me chills reading it. Thanks for posting this sweet story.

Lisabella Russo said...

What a heartwarming story. I've never had a parrot, but they seem lovely.

DVArtist said...

A very nice story.

William Kendall said...

What a handsome fellow he is.

aussie aNNie said...

Awww how cute lovely story. xx

Conniecrafter said...

that is so sad that he missed his owner so much that he wouldn't talk and started hurting himself.
I love that he is doing so well with this family, and thriving now!

carol l mckenna said...

Oh so glad the beautiful parrot is doing well again ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of love and peace in your days,

A ShutterBig Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Sue said...

Aww what a lovely story, I'm so glad he's found a new family! xx

Snowbird said...

Oh my goodness, what a heart-breaking story, it must have been awful hearing him whispering goodbye.. Such a happy outcome though. xxx

CraveCute said...

What a sad story with a much happier ending!

Martha said...

What a sweet bird. I'm so glad this story has a happy ending!

Phil Slade said...

Great story Eddie. Of course it proves that all animals share common ancestry and traits, even if we diverged all those millions of years ago.

Anonymous said...

Hi all thank you so much for kind words this is Carl Rachel’s partner he setting in very well Rachel says we got proper bromance going on lol