Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 March 2022

Turnip and its health benefits - when was the last time you ate one?


When was the last time you ate a turnip? In comparison to its cousins -- kale, cauliflower, arugula/rocket, and cabbage -- the turnip isn't a regular on most menus. But it's got a health profile that makes it worth checking out.

Turnips are among the oldest and hardiest vegetables. They grew wild in Siberia when dinosaurs roamed the earth and got an early reputation as a food for poor people and farm animals.

Today, many people wouldn't know a turnip if they saw or tasted one. People mistake it most often for the rutabaga/swede, which is a cross between a turnip and cabbage.

So here's more about turnip:
It's a root vegetable in the Brassicacae family of mustard plants. It's ready for harvest in the spring and fall/Autumn. The most common turnip is light purple on top and white on the bottom, but there are more than 30 kinds with varying shapes and colours. Some are sweet, like a carrot, while others taste more like a potato.

Unlike most other vegetables, you can eat both the turnip's root and the leafy greens attached to the top. They're both good for you.

Nutrients per Serving
1 medium turnip has:
Calories: 34  Fat: 0.1 gram  Carbs: 7 grams  Protein: 1 gram
Fibre: 2 grams  Sugar: 4 grams  Cholesterol: 0 grams
Turnips are full of vitamins and minerals like:
Calcium  Folate  Magnesium
Phosphorus  Potassium  Vitamin C 
Turnip greens, also called turnip leaves or tops:
have vitamins A, C and K. 

Health Benefits
One medium turnip has 233 mg of potassium. Your body needs that mineral for just about everything, including helping your nerves send signals and keeping your muscles and heart in good working shape. When you don't get enough, you're at risk for high blood pressure, stroke, kidney stones, brittle bones, and high blood sugar.

Turnips have plenty of other benefits, too.
Cancer prevention. Turnips have glucosinolates -- plant-based chemicals that may help prevent all kinds of cancer, from breast to prostate.

Eye health. Turnips are rich in the antioxidant lutein. This keeps your eyes healthy and wards off problems like macular degeneration and cataracts.

Bone health. Dairy isn't the only way to build strong bones and stay one step ahead of the bone-weakening disease osteoporosis. Turnips have a significant amount of calcium, which also helps your heart, muscles, and nerves.

Risks and Warnings
Some health problems and medications don't mix well with turnips. Talk to your doctor if:

You need a faecal occult blood test. Turnips, broccoli, and some other fruits and vegetables may give you a false positive or false negative on this test, which looks for hidden blood in your stool.

Your blood clots too quickly. If you have certain conditions, too many turnip greens -- which are high in vitamin K -- can cause your blood to clot faster than normal.

You have a kidney condition. Your kidneys remove extra potassium from your body. If they don't work well, you may have too much potassium in your system. This causes a rapid heartbeat and muscle issues like weakness, cramps, or stiffness.

How to Prepare Turnips
A good turnip is a small turnip. The big ones tend to be bitter. Look for turnips that feel firm and don't have any spots. 

At home, cut off the root and base of the leaves. Don't wash it until you're ready to eat. They'll keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. 

Peel the skin unless it's a baby turnip.

Raw or cooked, turnips are incredibly versatile:
Boil or steam turnips and add them to mashed potatoes for extra vitamins and minerals.
Grate them raw into salads or slaws.
Roast them with other root vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes, and bring out their natural sweetness.
Swap turnip greens for spinach or collards and sauté them with garlic, olive oil, and lemon.
Pickle turnips and their greens to get gut-friendly probiotics.
You can see the above article with all relevant links here

The above is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.


you may like to try this recipe, only 6.2g carbs per serving
Cauliflower, Swede & Turnip Curry
more details here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Tom said...

...this is something that I've never had.

kathyinozarks said...

good evening, we eat turnips now instead of potatoes-as they are low carbs and taste good too Happy new week Kathy

William Kendall said...

I can't recall ever having them.

My name is Erika. said...

I've never had turnip before. I should try them sometime as I might really like them. Thanks for the info about them too. Happy new week.

Sondra said...

I love Turnips and the greens too are delicious...I never had any luck trying to grow my own...Beets either...I think the weather here is too hot for them.

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing such good information.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info!

I love eating turnips!

J.P. Alexander said...

Los nabos son muy ricos, gracia por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Kay said...

I don't think I've eaten turnips. I think. I've eaten daikon but I've read that daikons are actually in the radish family and not turnips.

Christine said...

Lovely information on turnips. Thank you.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I almost ate a turnip the week before last.
I didn't cook the recipe I planned. The other day I see little green leaves growing out the top. I figure the recipe window is closed, and turnip is on its way for compost. I will try again.

Conniecrafter said...

I don't know if I had them as a kid but I haven't had them as an adult I know

Jo said...

I know some people call swede turnip, and I love swede, but turnip isn't something I've really given a go. I've had it on an odd occasion but that's about it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I never acquired a taste for turnips. My mother always made them for my father.
Take care, enjoy your new week!

CJ Kennedy said...

Turnip was not a vegetable that crossed the plate growing up Italian.

Jeanie said...

I love pickled turnip. I don't know how to do it and should look it up. Delicious in sandwiches!

baili said...

great post dear Jan ,i love turnip ,my mother cooked turnip often as addition in red meat and vegetables such as spinach .thank you for sharing very useful knowledge .
blessings to you and loved ones!

mamasmercantile said...

Its a vegetable that I always use to add to a stew or casserole.

lenalima said...

Interessante, mas nunca provei.
Quase não vejo por aqui.
obrigada! bjss

Divers and Sundry said...

I like turnip greens but not turnips.

Creations By Cindy said...

I always enjoy your wealth of information that you share. I do like turnips but I like them raw with a little salt. YEP, strange huh? Hugs and blessings, Cindy

happyone said...

I like turnips but haven't had any in a while. Will have to remedy that.

Practical Parsimony said...

The last time turnip was put before me, I refused to eat it. It has been decades. I do love turnip greens!

Sue said...

We don't often have turnips, but we do have swede air fried chips rather than potato ones. Take care and have a very happy week Jan & Eddie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I had a turnip. I'm not even sure I remember what they taste like! thanks for putting them on my radar.

DVArtist said...

I love turnips. Great recipe.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I haven't grown fond of turnips but should give them another try considering their health benefits. I like this idea of a curry which would make it more palatable for my taste buds!

Rose said...

I have not had a turnip since I was a kid! Well, since I left home 47 years ago. I always ate them raw.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderfully informative post about turnips ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of love and peace in your days,

A ShutterBig Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Snowbird said...

I rarely eat turnips, when I do it's mashed with carrots. I must get more creative.xxx

CraveCute said...

I have had good and bad turnips. Some were very bitter, must have been a large one! Also never sure if they are supposed to be peeled or not, some some people say yes some no. I've had them in a cream sauce and they are delicious.