Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 March 2022

'Red meat is good for older people (and younger)'

Myoprotective Whole Foods, Muscle Health and Sarcopenia: A Systematic Review of Observational and Intervention Studies in Older Adults

Abstract
Decline in skeletal muscle strength and mass (sarcopenia) accelerates with age, leading to adverse health outcomes and poor quality of life. Diet plays a crucial role in muscle ageing being an important element of a healthy lifestyle. However, unlike single nutrients, such as dietary protein, or dietary patterns, such as the Mediterranean diet, the relationship between individual whole foods and muscle health has not been systematically evaluated. We aimed to investigate which whole foods (meat, fish, eggs, fruit and vegetables, and non-liquid dairy) may be beneficial (myoprotective) for ageing muscle and sarcopenia in adults aged ≥ 50 years.

Nineteen observational and nine intervention studies were identified through systematic searches of the four electronic databases (last search: March 2020). The synthesis of findings showed strong and consistent evidence for a beneficial effect of lean red meat on muscle mass or lean tissue mass in both observational and intervention studies.

Higher intake of fruit and vegetables was associated with better muscle function in observational studies, but the evidence from intervention studies was scarce.

Non-liquid dairy foods were beneficial for muscle mass in both observational and intervention studies. There was moderate evidence for the role of these foods in muscle strength and sarcopenia, and limited or inconclusive evidence for the benefits of other whole foods (e.g., fish, eggs) for muscle health in older adults.

Although current nutritional recommendations are often based on a single nutrient approach, further research about the role of protein-rich and other foods in muscle health will allow for the development of guidelines that are based on whole foods, also highlighting the potential importance of non-protein nutrients within these foods for myoprotection in older adults.

Introduction
Loss of skeletal muscle strength and mass (sarcopenia; from Greek sarx “flesh” and penia “poverty”) accelerates with advancing age, and contributes to adverse health outcomes in older adults, increasing the risk of disability, poor quality of life, hospitalisation, and death.

A recent systematic review of studies estimating the economic burden-of-illness has shown major healthcare costs of sarcopenia, especially related to hospitalisation of sarcopenic versus non-sarcopenic patients. Thus, finding cost-effective prevention and treatment for sarcopenia is of great societal and public health interest. However, despite recent improvements in defining sarcopenia and understanding disease aetiology, challenges remain in how to diagnose and treat sarcopenia in clinical practice, and prevent muscle health decline in the general population.

Current evidence implicates modifiable lifestyle factors, diet and exercise, as non-pharmacological treatments for poor muscle health and sarcopenia, implemented either alone or in combination. Several approaches have been utilised to investigate the diet-muscle relationship with ageing, employing either a single nutrient, whole food, or whole diet approach, whilst resistance exercise (RE) has been recognised as a powerful stimulus for muscle anabolism in older adults.

Specifically, interventions with protein supplements and RE have been effective in ameliorating the decline in muscle mass and function in older adults with and without sarcopenia and frailty. Furthermore, several recent systematic reviews exploring the role of diet and dietary patterns have shown positive association between components of sarcopenia and a healthy balanced diet, such as the Mediterranean diet.

Above words, and more to read, with all relevant reference links here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

~ xx ~ xx ~

Diet and lifestyle is always a personal choice. Eddie and I enjoyed a lovely fish dish on Friday, Saturday was a cauliflower, leek and broccoli gratin with some turkey breast and I think today (Sunday) it must be Roast Beef, it's such a popular meal in our family 😋


I don't think there is a better known British meal than Roast Beef. I think you could perhaps call it the national dish of Great Britain and loved by almost everyone. But is there a good or better way to cook the perfect roast beef. It is actually very easy as you can see with the handy tips on this post here

You will find a variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Tom said...

...good to hear.

J.P. Alexander said...

Es bueno saberlo te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I eat red meet, not daily.
Coffee is on and stay safe

John's Island said...

Hi Jan, I am happy to see this post. I’ve been a fan of red meat all my life. However, many diet advocates say to limit red meat. I love a good Roast Beef and your photo in this post has me thinking that meal has to be coming up soon. :-) As an older person I do think I need to pay careful attention to diet. That is one reason I appreciate your blog so much. Thank you for keeping us up to date on the latest findings. I’ll bet you and Eddie are as ready as I am to move into Spring and it will be here soon! Take good care and be well. Best regards to you from Seattle. John

Christine said...

I love roast beef.

Elephant's Child said...

Sorry, no red meat for me - though my diet is (mostly) pretty good.

Margaret D said...

Good read.

Jo said...

Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my favourite meal. Well I would say that, I'm a Yorkshire lass born and bred.

linda said...

Interesting article, roast beef for lunch today I think. Have a peaceful Sunday.

eileeninmd said...

It is good news to hear. My hubby loves red meat.
Have a great day and happy new week!

Anonymous said...

The only way I can eat such meat now, is if it's ground seeing I no longer have teeth.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is disturbing to reflect on the fact that the destruction of the Amazon rainforest has been primarily the result of our never-ending desire for red meat. The elimination of the rain forest releases carbon, and the cattle on the grassland release methane. We are nicely charting our own extinction.

Iris Flavia said...

And Ingo just bought a huge piece :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

I remember roast beef on Sundays! I don't know enough about nutrition to go vegan, and this confirms it!

CJ Kennedy said...

I love roast beef.

Martha said...

I only eat it from time to time. It's not something that's regularly part of my diet.

J C said...

interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Red meat is not in my diet....for many years now. Many fruits and veg and low, low sodium. My heart is healthy (thankfully) and I really, really dislike chemical "fix it" drugs. My doctor doesnt understand me. lol

But.....I HAVE tried several of your delish veggie recipes...more than once.

Sandra Cox said...

I always enjoy these articles.
Thanks, Jan. Wishing you a serene Sunday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've read how loved roast beef is in your country. I enjoyed reading the study, but still have trouble leaving my vegetarian ways.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm trying to forestall any weakness in muscle and bone as I get older and try to include enough protein without supplementing. I like red meat :)

happyone said...

Roast beef - delicious.

CraveCute said...

I grew up on a farm in the middle of the USA. Granted that was many years ago, before factory farming. We had chickens, hogs and cattle. They were all well cared for and had plenty of green pastures and sunshine. I still enjoy meat in moderation. Pasture raised is something I seek out and try to only purchase locally. Turkey is the one food I really don't eat because I've only found free range-pasture raised available around the holidays. Thanks for a great informative post!

William Kendall said...

I do like roast beef.

My name is Erika. said...

We've watched my MIL lose muscle mass, in many ways her own choice. I won't go into that, but it is good to hear that eating some red meat is good in some ways. usually you just hear bad about it. Happy new week.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Interesting information. We try to eat a varied whole foods diet to make sure we take in what we need. Red meat is sketchy in our country because chemical injections and poor treatment of the animals is permitted so you usually don't know if you are getting a good piece of meat or not.

Conniecrafter said...

We probably tend to eat as much red meat as we do chicken and turkey, good to hear there are good parts of it too!

Jeanie said...

Definitely good news!

Debbie said...

we eat chicken, chicken, chicken, that's what i tend to cook. pasta too, we love pastai think we eat red meat when we go out, burgers or a good steak!!

this is good information, i feel a balanced diet is best, everything in moderation!!

Teresa said...

Muy interesante como siempre. Muchos besos.