Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 September 2021

'Kids Need Trees'


A new study suggests that children's cognitive development is boosted by access to woodlands.

Benefit of woodland and other natural environments for adolescents’ cognition and mental health

Trees are critical to our global health—they provide the very oxygen we breathe. Additionally, trees may also be very influential for our individual health, both mentally and physically. A new study published in Nature Sustainability found that children between the ages of 9 and 15 who spent significant time around trees benefited cognitively in several ways.

The study followed 3,568 students in London. The study tracked cognitive performance and mental health over the early adolescent years. Children who spent time in woodland areas showed improved cognitive performance and better mental health than their peers without frequent visits to the woods. Interestingly, time spent in grassy or lake areas did not provide the same benefits as woodlands. The results showed trees specifically may be a protective factor for children as they grow.

Other studies have proven green space is beneficial to children—and adults. The new study's findings suggest trees may be an important factor contributing to these health benefits. It is unclear exactly why nature may boost cognition. It may increase grey matter, or prompt changes in the amygdala which regulates emotion. Trees particularly may calm our minds with their pleasing “fractal” patterned branches.

A factor which is difficult to disentangle from the benefits of trees and nature to children and adults is privilege. Socioeconomic status, zip code, and free time are all factors which can determine access to green space, adequate nutrition, early childhood education, and more. Of the children studied in London, over half came from a family with parents in managerial or professional occupations. This could indicate that other factors beside trees are boosting these children's cognitive development. What is likely, however, is that access to green space can be beneficial to all and should be included equitably in urban planning.


Above words from here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here


The photographs in this post, taken a year or so ago, show three of our grandchildren having fun in the woods. I don't think it's just children who benefit from woodland and being outside enjoying nature. Even this Grandma enjoys her visits to the woods, although these days I leave tree climbing to the young ones, I just enjoy the walks, and in the Autumn, the sound of leaves rustling as you walk.

How about you? Do please share your thoughts about this article in the comments.

You will find a variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

35 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am with you. We ALL need trees though I can no longer climb them.

Tom said...

...everyone needs trees and I have a granddaughter who love to climb trees.

Jeanie said...

Those photos are just the best! What cute kids and they look like they're having loads and loads of fun. I'm all for trees for everyone -- kids and adults alike. (Some climb up them more easily than others, but even under the shade has its benefits!)

J.P. Alexander said...

En si toda persona necesita estar cerca de un lugar con arboles y flores. Te mando un beso

Practical Parsimony said...

I read about 30 0r 40 years ago that green helps us all mentally and physically. I purposefully spend much time sitting in my swing with green in front and on both sides of me. It was a time for unconscious meditation. Even now, I like to go sit in the park in the car. I cannot walk enough to go for a walk.

My children grew up with trees to climb and loved it. I know the outdoor time helped them to sleep better. One day, my youngest, about 4 or five, climbed a tree and sat in it singing her own song. I listened, heartened by her little voice singing words I could not hear well since she sang low. Finally, I realized she was singing, "Mama. Come. Help me. I can't get down."

I rushed out and pulled her from the tree. She had tears, asking me why I did not come. I told her to yell next time, not sing.

She went back to tree climbing soon. She finally learned to climb down.

Yes, trees are important.

Kay said...

I agree whole heartedly and you've already read on my blog how my brother and I loved to climb trees. My husband kept planting trees on our property constantly when the kids were growing up and we loved taking them to woods and forests whenever we could.

Margaret D said...

Nice photos of the grandchildren up the trees.
I remember well climbing trees and then jumping onto the horses back - no saddle. Loved doing that.

Practical Parsimony said...

In the second picture, what kind of gnarly tree is that? It sort of looks like grape vines, old and sturdy.

Christine said...

Cute photos of the grandies! I love being outside with trees.

Jutta.K. said...

Dem stimme ich voll und ganz zu !
Obwohl bei den Klettereien manchmal das Oma-Herz etwas bange reagiert ;-)
Liebe Grüße

Valerie-Jael said...

I love walking through the woods, even if I can't climb the trees these days. Lovely photos of our grandchildren! Have a great weekend, Valerie

Ygraine said...

I am in 100% agreement with you...I always feel much better for spending time in Nature, especially around trees. And it never fails to astound me how some people are totally ignorant of their importance! Over the years, we have endured two different neighbours who attempted to force us to have our trees cut down, in spite of the fact that they are well inside of our boundary and are regularly trimmed to an acceptable height and depth. I actually asked one where he thought our oxygen comes from, and he replied, "Well, it's just in the air, isn't it!" No explaining on my part could convince him otherwise. And I find that really sad.🙁
Sorry, I've digressed. 🙄
Thank you for this fabulous and thought provoking post. As a child I lived on the edge of woodland, and spent every spare moment playing among the trees. I really feel for children growing up in towns and cities where they have little access to trees. They do bring such important health benefits, both physical and mental.😊😊

Have a great weekend, dear friends!

Hugs xxx

Rose said...

OH, I believe every word of it...I love being in the woods. And spent a lot of time there as a kid/young adult. I loved to climb trees...there is just a peace when I am in a forest and I wonder if anyone else feels that. Though I would love it if I could just get out and get on some public trails right now.

Rose said...

I meant to say your grands look like they are really enjoying themselves.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I used to climb trees all the time as a child. I was fearless. Somewhere along the way, I became afraid of heights. It was an interesting study, Jan.

happyone said...

Oh yes, we all need trees. I grew up living right next to a woods and had many many hours of fun playing there. I've sure climbed a fair amount of trees.
We live in the woods now and enjoy it very much!!
That's a really cool tree your grandkids are climbing on!!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I love trees and I love planting them.
I often walk in the woods which relax me.
Have a nice weekend.

Creations By Cindy said...

Love this post. You wouldn't believe the pictures that I have of my three girls growing up climbing in the trees at their grandparents home with their cousins. Now, we snap pictures of their kids doing the same with their cousins. I love it! I am a believer that fresh air and outside in nature is not only healthy for people but helps clear our minds. I am a country girl so nature is all around me. Hugs and blessings to you. Cindy

William Kendall said...

That makes sense to me.

Lowcarb team member said...

Google translate ...

J.P. Alexander said...
En si toda persona necesita estar cerca de un lugar con arboles y flores. Te mando un beso

In itself every person needs to be near a place with trees and flowers. I send you a kiss

Jutta.K. said...
Dem stimme ich voll und ganz zu !
Obwohl bei den Klettereien manchmal das Oma-Herz etwas bange reagiert ;-)
Liebe Grüße

I fully agree with that!
Although sometimes the grandma's heart reacts a bit anxious during the climbs ;-)
Best regards,

Lowcarb team member said...

Practical Parsimony said...
In the second picture, what kind of gnarly tree is that? It sort of looks like grape vines, old and sturdy

Hello there, many thanks for your comments and question.
Sorry, I do not know what type of tree that is, it was good for climbing though :)

All the best Jan

Lee said...

We built tree houses in the trees in our backyard when we were kids...and how we loved playing in them...when we were kids! :)

Jules said...

Exactly this! We were in the woods yesterday. Lily insits on tree hugging :)

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan,:=) I have never hugged a tree, but love them just the same. My house is surrounded by trees, the air is pure and I adore the changing seasons to see the green leaves turn to red yellow and orange. The benefit we get from them is essential to our well being, especially to the development of mind and body of children.

Laura. M said...

Todos los necesitamos Me encanta abrazarlos y pasear enter ellos.
Un abrazo.

Divers and Sundry said...

Yes! I believe we _all_ need trees :)

My name is Erika. said...

It was amazing to me how little contact many kids had with nature back in my teaching days. Thanks for sharing this interesting info! And hopefully more kids can get outside. Have a great start to the new week.

Ananka said...

They look so happy :-D I teach my little one about nature and we go out walking in the woods :-D Nature is the best :-D

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh yes, I do believe children love trees and have the best time trying to climb them or sitting under one for shade. I've also always had my grandchildren plant apple and lemon seeds and take care of them and watch them grow.

Carla from The River said...

I just smiled and smiled while reading this.

Conniecrafter said...

I very much agree that a walk in the woods can be very soothing and thought provoking, although I do love the water too :) A walk in the Autumn woods is especially wonderful!

Debbie said...

i LOVE trees like these for taking pictures!! you have adorable grandchildren!!

Teresa said...

Me encanta pasear entre los árboles. Besos.

Crafty Green Poet said...

We all need trees! They give shade on a hot day and are beautiful and full of life.

Magic Love Crow said...

We all need trees! Your grand-children are so cute! Big Hugs!