Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 September 2021

Strange But True !

As regular readers know, this blog brings a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, recipes and more! It is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. Our main focus is about the Low Carb Higher (Healthy) Fat lifestyle, LCHF for short, and you can read/find out more about that here

But today for a change I thought let's have some midweek trivia! So here are ten strange but true facts! Did you know any of these facts? 

In 2016, a student left a pineapple in an art museum in Scotland. Two days later, it had been placed in a glass case as part of an exhibition.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur. The stripes are like fingerprints, and no two tigers have the same pattern.

“Digging a hole to China” is theoretically possible if you start in Argentina

There’s a flower that smells like chocolate! Native to Mexico, this dark red flower is not edible. It is called “cosmos atrosanguineus” or “chocolate cosmos.”


People don’t sneeze in their sleep due to their brain shutting down the reflex.

If you sneeze while traveling at 60 mph, your eyes are closed for an average of 50 feet.

The brain is our fattiest organ and is composed of nearly 60% fat.

Magpies are considered one of the most intelligent animals in the world and the only non-mammal species able to recognize themselves in a mirror test.


A Canadian company started selling fresh air in a can as a joke, then Chinese consumers made it real, paying up to $20 a can.

The small indents in the bottom of frozen pizzas are there to prevent air bubbles from forming inside the dough.


talking of pizza, 
have you tried 
Cauliflower Pizza Casserole ... it's so cheesy
see recipe details here

Please note, not all the recipe suggestions featured within this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Tom said...

...the world is filled with strange things and strange people!

My name is Erika. said...

I didn't know any of these. They are fun!

DVArtsit said...

Ohh very good. I did know a few of these. Have a nice evening.

Christine said...

Fascinating facts, thank you! Will check your recipe.

Jenn Jilks said...

I have a hankering for pizza now!
I found my cats' skin is the same pattern as their fur.

J.P. Alexander said...

Geniales hechos, te mando un beso

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely reading. I have a magpie who visits each year and has a drink and sings in my bird bath, and never flies away when I approach, they are beautiful ..

Elephant's Child said...

I wonder whether our magpies are also that smart.
And it seems that calling someone 'fathead' is the truth rather than an insult.

Margaret D said...

Interesting facts some of which I knew.

Catarina said...

I knew 2 of these facts. A company from the province of Alberta is selling cans ($10-$20/ea) of fresh air from the Rocky Mountains. And the reason for the indents in the pizza.

The other facts are equally interesting!


At Home In New Zealand said...

Some interesting things there - I didn't know about the tiger skin but it makes sense. We had Silkie chickens for a while. They have blue feathers and blue skin :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun facts! They have those chocolate cosmos flowers at the botanical gardens here. Have a great day, Valerie

Mrs.B said...

Loved reading the fun facts - and guess what - I have the Chocolate Cosmos growing in my garden and it does smell of dark chocolate - delicious,
The recipe sounds nice will give it a try, thanks
Avril x

Jo said...

Fascinating. I knew a couple of these but not the rest.

eileeninmd said...

Interesting facts and post.
I would like to grow the flowers that smell like chocolate.
Take care, have a happy day!

Fun60 said...

Really fun facts.

linda said...

I knew about the chocolate cosmos but none of the others, very interesting.

happyone said...

Interesting tidbits.
I knew about the sneezing and the tiger stripes.

Creations By Cindy said...

I love reading this. Interesting things to read. Love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Lorrie said...

Fun facts! I wonder what eventually happened to the pineapple!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

My goodness, these are great! Love that you have shared them, thank you.

Sue said...

Well you got me this time, I didn't know any of these! Have a great evening, Sue xx

Ananka said...

I did not know about the pineapple! Consider I am in Scotland..I musta missed that one!

Wow I would have said crows are more intelligent than magpies?

And my goodness that looks tasty! Easy enough for me to tweek :-D

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and comments.
A few mentioned the Pineapple strange but true one, so more on the Pineapple Art fact:

Apparently it was removed after two days, when officials realised their mistake.
However, R Gray the student who had left it there said "As the pineapple decayed over time it represents the inevitable breakdown of all life."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4482156/Pineapple-left-art-prank-glass-case.html

All the best Jan

Bill said...

Fascinating and I didn't know about any of them. :)

William Kendall said...

Considering what I've seen passed off as art, that is not surprising.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

An interesting post, Jan, but my favorite was the link to the cauliflower pizza casserole. I made my first ever cauliflower pizza crust this week, and the results were not great, so I was looking for an alternate plan, thanks.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Factos interessantes e já conhecia alguns deles.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Snowbird said...

The pineapple had me laughing! I only knew about chocolate scente cosmos. I know crows are highly intelligent too. A fascinating set of facts.xxx

Iris Flavia said...

That pineapple!
Yes, magpies are clever.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh looks so delicious ~ Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Conniecrafter said...

very interesting :)

Teresa said...

Todo muy interesante. Un beso.

Magic Love Crow said...

This was fun! Thanks Jan! I can't believe about the pineapple! LOL! Big Hugs!