Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 September 2021

'The benefit of uncertainty'

image from post here
 

One Upside to the Feeling of Uncertainty

A new study finds that feeling uncertain may lead us to savour the small things in life.

Ever since it began, the pandemic has been a crash course in uncertainty. Safe behaviours, school openings, vaccination timelines, the job market, new variants—these have all seemed to change on a weekly basis, threatening our sense of security and stability.

Uncertainty is stressful and perhaps even harmful to our health, research suggests, and it can drive us to cling to our social groups to the exclusion of others. But a new study has uncovered a surprising upside to feeling uncertain: It might drive us to appreciate the little things in life.

Smell the roses
In one experiment, researchers stationed on a sidewalk handed out flyers that said one of two things: “Life is unpredictable: Stop and smell the roses” or “Life is constant: Stop and smell the roses.” A short distance away was a table with a dozen red roses on it and a sign matching the flyer they’d just received.

Research assistants hid behind a bush to see who stopped and who didn’t—and it was the people who read that life is unpredictable who buried their noses in the fragrant flowers, 2.5 times more often than the others.

Why? Savouring and appreciating the small things in life may be a coping response that our minds activate when we feel overwhelmed by the ambiguity of it all. Savouring pulls us out of fears and worries about a fuzzy future and into the clear, pleasurable sensations of right now.

“If the world is uncertain, it makes sense to take advantage of what you have now because it may not exist shortly,” explains Andrew L. Gregory, the lead author of the study.

The researchers found similar results in another experiment, where, instead of handing out flyers, they recruited nearly 400 people to watch videos. Some saw a video purportedly describing the conclusions from a scientific conference about how unpredictable and random our lives are, accompanied by chaotic graphs and rolling dice. Others saw a similar video, but with the opposite message, about life’s underlying order and structure. A final group saw a video about the history of trains.

Compared to the other two groups, those who watched the chaos video reported more intentions to savour life. They said that they should enjoy the present and appreciate simple things, and would linger on good feelings if something wonderful happened to them or a friend.

Savouring in real life

A final set of findings suggests that this effect does translate to everyday life, even if you don’t happen to come across a video or flyer about uncertainty. Here, researchers recruited over 6,000 people and pinged them up to a dozen times a day, asking how chaotic and unpredictable the world felt in that moment and whether they were savouring the present.

It turned out that when the world felt messy, people were more likely to be savouring their lives a few hours later, at the next ping.

Of course, the relentless uncertainty of the pandemic doesn’t lend itself to feeling mindful and appreciative all the time. But Gregory suspects that this pattern still holds.

Indeed, many people reported feeling grateful early on in the pandemic. One of our 'Thnx4' members, for example, journaled about missing out on her daily socializing at the neighbourhood café and instead making small talk with strangers on her morning walk. “It reminded me not only to appreciate but to seek positive experience,” she wrote.

While savouring may happen naturally, it’s also something we can practice deliberately when life feels unsettling. For example, you might share your good news or gratitude with others, or tune into the enjoyable sights, sounds, and smells around you. When you work on controlling your attention this way, Gregory says, you may feel like you have more control over your life in general.

The flyers and videos in these experiments are a good reminder that our sense of uncertainty is changeable. Based on that, it makes sense that reading political news or social media posts from our friends could influence how stable or chaotic our lives feel. Being selective about the media we consume could help. Or, says Gregory, when we’re feeling adrift, we could try reflecting on times in our life when we felt secure and certain.

Savouring isn’t the only potential upside to feeling uncertain. For people who are less well off, confronting a chaotic environment can actually drive them to prioritize community. In these ways and perhaps others, our brains try to protect us from the unpleasant but unavoidable uncertainty of life.


Above words and all research links can be seen here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

In recent times it is the smaller things in life that has helped me, how about you? Please share your thoughts in the comments.

You will find a variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

This was a great post, Jan. I know it's been true for me, during this crazy, upside-down time. It really helped to notice and appreciate the little things.

Tom said...

...I take each day as it come my way.

Rose said...

I do try to savour the small moments...but then I think I always have to some extent. I have always been a cloud watcher, for example, and just really loved the moments. However, there are times I have to make myself think of all the things I have to be thankful for. And am trying to learn to savor ALL the moments...even when it is things I don't want to do. I try to think at least I can walk and I can drive...and I have the money to get what we need, etc.

William Kendall said...

For me, the chaos of the pandemic has wrecked havoc with my depression.

Jeanie said...

this doesn't surprise me. The whole uncertainty of the pandemic really made us stop and take note. Since we couldn't go out much, we had to find joy in things at hand. At least it worked that way for me.

My name is Erika. said...

It is important to savor the little things in life. Nice post today!

Practical Parsimony said...

We have watched more clouds and flowers. We have gotten hummingbird feeders and bird baths and watch out for the hummers. Once I got new glasses, I have started reading more and have gotten books he loves to read, anything about trivia and trains.

Carla from The River said...

This is a great post .. Thank YOU!

Jenn Jilks said...

Enjoy each day, and find something to be grateful for!

J.P. Alexander said...

Interesante, te mando un beso

Christine said...

Great advice to savour the little things in life.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jan. Great post with good statements. I find that I am enjoying all the little things much more as the counts keep going up in our neck of the woods. Staying home, just going out for necessities, cleaning house, and hobbies are much more satisfying to me these days because I just am not comfortable being around lots of people, and the idea of finding these sorts of situations comfortable to me is what keeps me going..Have a great week..xxoJudy

Lorrie said...

What an interesting study. Uncertainty does make one stop and take account of life's joys.

Elephant's Child said...

The small things are HUGE in my life.

Margaret D said...

Lovely rose that one.

Hilly Nicolay said...

In the corona time there was more time, it seemed for nature.
I always thought nature was beautiful, but now I was more attentive to it.
I enjoyed making gooseberries and blackberries jam.
And make delicious dishes from rhubarb, everything from our own vegetable garden.

Thank you for this information on your blog.

All the best and have a nice day,
Hilly

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting article, so true. Valerie

mamasmercantile said...

An interesting study. My hubbys heart attack made me look at life at little differently and we then started to appreciate the little things in life and feel blessed and thankful for what we had.

R's Rue said...

So true. Have a beautiful day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed reading this study. It was true because after I decided to stay in lock down for a year, I certainly appreciated the small things I didn't appreciate before.

stardust said...

Thank you for sharing such a nice article. So true.

Yoko

DVArtist said...

Nice post. Have a great day.

CJ Kennedy said...

I think finding joy in the small things just helps with an overall positive outlook.

happyone said...

Good and interesting post.
I for one have always enjoyed the little things in life.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great post! Nothing in life is certain..You just have to try to learn to go with the flow...
Thanks so much for visiting!!
Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
Hugs,
Deb

bread&salt said...

Very interesting post! Red rose is my favourite. Here, antivaccine people increase the outbreak. Hope world get rid of the covid-19 soon. Thanks for the post.

Ananka said...

Interesting about the flyers. For me it is enjoying nature and animals and creatures. Like your post the other day about kids and nature. I am happiest around animals and nature and always enjoy that, no matter what is happening in my life or the world.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Love this post, Jan! I've always been one to appreciate the little things, but never more so than during this pandemic. And I think that has been very helpful.

Conniecrafter said...

It sure has changed how I feel about things now that I never took the time to think about before, in ways it has slowed me down and made me appreciate the little things more that's for sure!

Iris Flavia said...

I really do think the pandemic brought out much good in people. They do appreciate the little things and are friendlier, most at least.
At the beginning, some fake-coughed at people to scare them off, this has stopped.

Debbie said...

this is such an interesting read, i am so glad i did not miss it. living with multiple sclerosis every day is so uncertain, this really gave me something to think about!!!

i would like to think of myself as a positive person, but some days it is difficult. i do allow myself those days!!

Maggie said...

Great Post and very interesting to read. I know that early on in the first lockdown I appreciated and noticed more in nature, I had more time for walks and life was at a slower pace, I stopped watching the news because I noticed i got more stressed if I did so this all makes sense. Thanks for sharing

baili said...

what a beautiful posting dear Jan!

i adore amount and beauty of life in present moment and thankfully i did not learned it hard way but i was gifted with such nature ,sometimes being too much positive irritates others around you special people with weak faith and they try hard to break you down but i have never lacked faith this is truly grace of Creator ,this is most beautiful miracle i believe and i try so hard to share it with others

Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent post! I agree entirely, appreciating the small things has really helped me during the pandemic. In particular, discovering our local cemeteries and all the wonderful wildlife there.

Divers and Sundry said...

I find uncertainty unsettling and prefer a basic level of stability. That said, I look for each moment to be fully present in.

Caroline Gill said...

What a lovely post, Jan, so reassuring for these uncertain times. I know (and you have probably realised) that I am someone who sticks her head in a bush at frequent intervals to see if an unusual butterfly or other insect may be lurking there. Focusing on these small joys certainly helps in times of uncertainty. I found the rose experiment fascinating ... made me wonder what I would have done! Never before have I been so conscious of the swing in nature's garden 'seesaw' at this time of year when the birds begin to take over from the insects. I guess this is due to a closer focus on my part. Thankfulness is such a gift, and it blesses others. too!

P.S. Thank you, as ever, for your kind comments on my blog.

Teresa said...

Siempre interesante tus publicaciones. Besos.

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you Jan! Good post! Big Hugs!