Total Pageviews

Monday 4 May 2020

Chicken Curry with South Indian Spices : Slow Cooker Recipe

" A slow cooker is the pinnacle of low-maintenance cooking. Place the ingredients inside, turn it on, and let it cook. Your only thought is how delicious that meal is going to taste. But some slow cookers have features which make them better suited to your specific needs than other models. To be happy with your purchase, you'll want those needs met.

The best slow cookers offer a consistent temperature through many hours of cooking. The warm setting must keep your food warm without letting it continue to cook. You'll want a capacity that can accommodate your family's needs, a removable inner pot that is easy to clean, and durable construction that will allow many long years of use.

Some slow cookers have programmable features that might be of interest. If you'd like a more in-depth look at these appliances, continue reading here




A suggestion for a slow cooker curry recipe which is packed with chicken, south Indian spices and coconut milk. The chicken thighs take on all the vibrant flavours and are beautifully tender, thanks to the slow-cooking, and the curry sauce is wonderfully fragrant. 

Ingredients
Serves Four
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2½ cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
300g ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp chilli powder
1 cinnamon stick
4 cloves
4 cardamom pods
1 tbsp dried curry leaves
8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
100ml coconut milk
small handful coriander leaves
Optional suggestions to serve
chapattis

cauliflower rice
Method
1. Put the oil, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, spices, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods, curry leaves and chicken into the slow cooker. Season and stir well. Put the lid on and cook on high for 3½ hrs.
2. Remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk. Cook on high for another 30 mins. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with coriander. Serve suggestions, warm chapattis, cauliflower rice.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines

Cook as instructed and allow to cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. To reheat and serve, place on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the dish is heated through.
Nutrition Per Serving
Carbohydrate 8g Protein 31.4g Fibre 3.3g Fat 24g
From an original idea here

Other Slow Cooker Recipes
Chicken Casserole, recipe here
Vegetarian Stew, recipe here



Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. 

All the best Jan

32 comments:

Ella said...

It looks delicious, very tasty!
Stay safe!

Phil Slade said...

You're onto a winner there Jan. I can't think of any of my family or friends who don't like an occasional curry. But it's not easy to make a really good one unless you use authentic spices. And at least half a teaspoon of Kashmiri chilli!

Tom said...

...a spicy treat.

JFM said...

Need hubby's approval but it looks tasty to me.
Thank you Jan 🌷

Jo said...

I love my slow cooker. This looks like a very tasty recipe.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks great and I love my slowcooker. Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the spicy food, but my hubby does not. This sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a happy new week ahead.

Shari Burke said...

Love my slow cooker--it's such a useful tool. Enjoy your day!

Elephant's Child said...

Slowcookers lend themselves to curry don't they? Something which allows the flavours to percolate through and through and harmonise.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think I could do this one! Thank you for the recipe!

mamasmercantile said...

I am a great fan of my slow cooker, particularly in the winter. The curry looks delicious, very tasty.

Jeanie said...

THis must smell so good when it's cooking! I'm definitely printing this one out. I love curry and all those flavors together sound just wonderful!

Caty said...

I like curry very much, and your recipe may be delicious. Thanks so much for sharing it Jan.
Wish you a very nice new week, stay safe and biig hugs,
Caty

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I was looking for a curry recipe for a slow cooker the other day. This fits the bill, thank you.

Mia said...

What a delicious recipe, Jan! Thank you, my friend.

Sue said...

I love slow cooker meals and I like a nice mild curry and I always use cauliflower now instead of rice so this sounds like a winner. Take care, Sue xx

DeniseinVA said...

I am always looking for something different for my slow cooker. This looks very exotic and delicious. Thanks Jan and all the best :)

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hum!hum! it must be delicious.
Take care and be well
A big hug

carol l mckenna said...

Not a curry fan but bet those that like it will enjoy the recipe ~ ^_^

Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Why is it that curry always tastes good, regardless of what meat it is, or even when it is vegetarian?

God bless.

Joyful said...

Dinner looks great. I do love a nice, tasty curry. Unfortunately I could never get used to a slow cooker. I like the concept but it doesn't work for me. I could adapt this to the instant pot for quicker cooking which is more my style. Have a wonderful week.

Jeff said...

Love curry and enjoy Indian food, this sounds great.

Margaret D said...

Looks delicious and bet it's ever so tender.

Kelly Steel said...

It looks so delicious and tasty! Thank you. I've noted the recipe down.

aussie aNNie said...

Delish, now I know what's for dinner.x

Mariann Jakobsen said...

Looks great!! Make me hungry, lol. I have to try this asap. Thanks for the recipe

George Pereira said...

I live in South India and have curry regularly. Never used a slow cooker. In fact we use a pressure cooker to speed up the cooking.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I can feel the warm spices now.

Miss Val's Creations said...

We need to get a slow cooker. I love the idea of curry cooking this way. We do make curry dishes but they always seem to taste better the next day which I think may have to do with the ingredients blending together over time.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We are very fond of Indian food and will definitely try this recipe. We have a slow cooker but rarely use it, so here is a chance to get it out of the cupboard. It can cook while we are out birding and the odours to greet us when we return should be nothing short of spectacular.

Martha said...

Spicy and delicious!

Magic Love Crow said...

My brother thanks you for this recipe Jan! Big Hugs!