Total Pageviews

Monday 11 May 2020

Crème Brûlée : Suitable For Diabetics and Non-Diabetics





Today I am sharing a recipe that is suitable for both Diabetics and Non-Diabetics. It is also gluten free, Keto, LCHF, Low Carb, and sugar free! Wow!

Karen at KETohh blog says "Crème Brûlée is a favourite dessert of mine but is off limits because of the sugar content. I have not been able to find a crème Brûlée that fits in with my sugar free life so decided to start working on a recipe. I have been playing with this recipe for a few weeks now, and must admit that I have been surprised at the results. You are going to discover that a sugar free crème Brûlée is not a compromise at all. The end result is truly superb, and you are going to love this recipe.

Lots of Egg Yolks
For a really creamy texture in this recipe for a Sugar Free Crème Brûlée, I have used 6 egg yolks. The end result is a delectably, rich custard that tastes divine. You could reduce the number of egg yolks down to a minimum of 4 yolks if you wish to and the crème Brûlée will still set. They will not be anywhere near as rich and creamy though, so I would only reduce them out of absolute necessity.

Ingredients
Serves Six
500 mls pure cream/pouring cream
1/3 cup erythritol
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Tiniest pinch of salt

6 egg yolks 

Caramelized Topping Ingredients
1-2 teaspoons powdered Erythritol for caramelized topping optional

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 150 C/ 300 F fan forced.
2. Heat the cream, Erythritol and vanilla extract until just below boiling point. Remove from heat once it starts to bubble. Do not allow to boil!
3. Whisk the egg yolks and the salt together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Temper the eggs, by slowly pouring the heated cream mixture into the eggs. Continue whisking the egg and cream mix as you do this, to prevent splitting, until all of the cream has been added.
4. Place 6 ramekins in a baking tray and top up evenly with the crème mixture. Pour boiling water into the baking dish until it comes up to about the mid point on the ramekin.
5. Place the baking dish in the centre of the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the water in the baking tray. Place Crème Brûlée pots in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours prior to serving.

To Caramelize the Sweetener Topping
Sprinkle the powdered Erythritol amongst the 6 ramekins. Using a kitchen blow torch, torch the sugar until it browns slightly. Note that this is optional so omit if you don't have a kitchen blow torch.
Crème Brûlée tastes amazing served simply on their own. You can also top them with some fresh whipped cream.

Recipe Notes
I highly recommend that you powder your Erythritol to use for the caramelised topping. Simply grind in a food processor or blender. (I use my Nutribullet to do this.)

Nutritional Information

Serving: 1serve
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 34g"

Need help with weight/measurement conversion, see here

Original recipe idea and more details can be found here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of recipe ideas and articles within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

32 comments:

Tom said...

...a nice treat.

Christine said...

Love crime brûlée!

Ella said...

That must be very tasty …
Thank you for sharing!

Chris Lally said...

I don't think I can eat just one:) Thanks, Jan!

Catarina said...

Delicious!

R's Rue said...

Yum.

Jo said...

This is something I'm not very keen on but I know it's a very popular dessert so I'm sure your recipe will get lots of takers.

Kaya said...

I always enjoyed Creme Brulee and this recipe is so wonderful, so delicious.
Thank you!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds yummy! Valerie

Angela said...

Sounds good! Someone in my extended family is diabetic so I will pass this recipe to them. Thank you!!

Caty said...

Ooh this crème brûlée has to be delicious Jan! Thank you very much for sharing it. Here, it is very similar to Catalan cream, burned on top, it will also have a flavor similar to natillas (don´t know its name in english), which is very creamy. I think I would like your recipe.
I wish you a very nice evening, stay safe, and big hugs
Caty

Fun60 said...

Love Creme Brulee. Must get my finger out and give it a try.

Elephant's Child said...

Love that she refused to be defeated by a lack of sugar.
It looks and sounds good.

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering now looking at that yummy treat! I wonder if the same amount of stevia would work since it seems to be the only sweetener my stomach can tolerate. I see lots of recipes that use a variety of sweetners which I would love to try but I have to stick with only a small amount of stevia to avoid discomfort. Creme brulee has always been a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing.
Diane

Chatty Crone said...

Sounds good - happy belated Mother's DAy.

Lowcarb team member said...

Diane (Anonymous) said
My mouth is watering now looking at that yummy treat! I wonder if the same amount of stevia would work since it seems to be the only sweetener my stomach can tolerate. I see lots of recipes that use a variety of sweetners which I would love to try but I have to stick with only a small amount of stevia to avoid discomfort. Creme brulee has always been a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing.

Hello Diane, many thanks for you comment and question.

You can switch Erythritol for an alternative sweetener if you wish or need to. Just make sure that you use the correct amount of a substitute, so that you don’t over sweeten the recipe. If using an Erythritol Stevia blend for example, you may need to reduce the amount down to 2-3 tablespoons. As a rough guide, and depending on your taste, it should be the equivalent of approximately 1/4 cup sugar.

Also please note that if you want to add a caramelized topping with a kitchen blow torch, using Erythritol to sprinkle on top is best. Stevia will not caramelize under heat like Erythritol does.

Of course, why not serve Sugar Free Crème Brûlée simply on it’s own, or you could also top it with some fresh whipped cream for a wonderful contrast of flavours. It doesn’t need to be served with anything more than that.

There is a good guide to low carb sweeteners that you may find of interest, use this link https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-sweeteners/

If you should need help with weight/measurement conversion this link may help
https://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

Hope you may enjoy this recipe soon.

All the best Jan

Victor S E Moubarak said...

A really tasty post - one of my favourites.

God bless, Jan.

Miss Val's Creations said...

A wonderful dessert!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed this and had to look up pouring cream. It sort of goes along with the shout out I gave you today, Jan.

This looks like something I would definitely try, since my friend bought me some eggs the last time he went to the store.

aussie aNNie said...

Total desert, love it.xxx

mamasmercantile said...

Now that sounds like a wonderful desert.

Margaret D said...

Looks lovely.

Sally said...

I've never had that! The closest, I guess, would be egg custard. I remember our mother making that for us when we were sickly. :)

xoxo

DVArtist said...

Thank you for all your wonderful recipes and information.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Ohhh, I love creme brulee, Jan, but have never made it low carb. Thank you for the recipe.

Sue said...

There aren't many desserts I don't like, but creme brulee is one of them. Thank goodness there's something lol. Have a great week, Sue xx

DMS said...

Looks like a tasty treat! Yum! Love the low carb recipe. :)
~Jess

Teresa said...

Tiene que estar muy buena. Besitos.

Martha said...

A favourite of mine. So yummy!

Lee said...

I used to make Creme Brulee frequently when I cooked in restaurants...and when I was married, but haven't done so in a long time. I love Creme Brulee!

Jeanie said...

Creme brulee is such a favorite. I used to order it often in restaurants if we ever splurged on desserts because it felt so hard to make at home. maybe not! Thanks!

Magic Love Crow said...

My fav!!! Thank you! Big Hugs!