Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 May 2020

Natural Cleaners To Use Around The Home





Do you like cleaning and dusting around the home? I must admit I don't mind dusting, Eddie is wonderful at vacuuming and strange as it may seem to some, I find ironing quite therapeutic!
I have a pair of yellow gloves, similar to those in the above picture, and always wear them when I'm washing up and cleaning ... do you?

I recently came across this article from Tess Patrick which I now share with you, it does have some helpful tips; the only one I'm not too keen on is to disinfect with a shot of vodka! I'm sure this works well, but vodka is great in recipes like this low carb, vegetarian 'Cheesy Cauliflower alla Vodka Casserole' here or this tasty low carb 'Salmon with a Bacon Tomato and Vodka Cream Sauce' dish here. Then of course there are cocktail recipes that use vodka (or gin), like this one for a dirty martini and can make a great 'Saturday Cocktail', see here  

Now on with the article! Tess Patrick writes:
We spend so much time detoxing our cupboards, making sure we know everything that’s in our make-up and skincare products and investing in our health and wellbeing. But if we’re soaking our home in harsh chemicals at any given opportunity, a lot of that work goes out the window. For every storebought, chemical-based cleaner, there’s an option you can make from home with 100% natural ingredients. It makes for a fun family activity, plus you can re-use old bottles to cut down on your plastic! Here are a few that stay in our cupboards.

1. Mop Your Floors With Vinegar 
Instead of drenching your floors in harsh bleaches and alcohols, a simple household vinegar does the trick. Mix one part vinegar with two parts hot water for the best, most effective, antibacterial floor cleaner. It’s a wonderful option for bathrooms and tiled floors because the acidic nature of the vinegar stops the floors from becoming dangerously slippery. If you have varnished wood floors, it is recommended that you patch-test an inconspicuous corner first to ensure it doesn’t affect the varnish. 

2. Clean Chopping Boards With Fresh Lemon 
Porous chopping boards are one of the easiest places for germs to hide, unless we are giving them regular cleans, they can become a hive for all sorts of bacteria. If you’re trying to avoid synthetic chemicals in your household, try simply rubbing a freshly cut lemon over the surface and leaving to sit for 10 minutes. The acidic compounds in the citrus will draw out and kill any harmful bacteria lurking. You can also condition your boards with a coat of coconut oil for a smooth, protective surface. 

3. Use Baking Soda And Vinegar To Unclog A Drain 
If you ever took science in school, you’ll be familiar with a favourite volcano trick. This very basic chemical reaction can actually be used around the home to breakthrough grime and nasties setting up residence in your drainpipes. Simply pour one cup of baking soda down the drain, then slowly pour one cup of vinegar in after it. Cover the drain and let it sit for 15 minutes. If it bubbles like a volcano, it means it's working as planned. Flush with boiling water and enjoy your free moving pipes. 

4. Tea Tree Oil For Mould & Mildew 
Tea Tree Oil is a staple disinfectant in our household, and it works just as well on mold and mildew as it does on scraped knees and elbow grazes. By blending a cup of vinegar, 10 drops of lemon essential oil, ad 10 drops of tea tree essential oil in a reusable spray bottle, you’ll have the best cleaner money can buy. Spray on any surface and leave for 10 minutes before wiping away, the acidic and disinfectant properties will fight off any germs hiding in spaces. 

5. Disinfect With A Shot Of Vodka 
One of the easiest disinfectant sprays could be a cocktail, of sorts. Half a cup of high-proof vodka and half a cup of white distilled vinegar, shaken with three-quarters of a cup of water and 50-60 drops of tea tree essential oil or lavender essential oil will be your new best friend. Say goodbye to bleach once and for all. 

6. Make Our All-Purpose Antibacterial Cleaner 
There’s a multitude of greenwashed all-purpose sprays on the market, with some kind of variant of the word natural in their branding, but you can’t get much more natural, cheap, and environmentally friendly than our favourite home-made recipe. With vinegar, lemon, bicarb, and castile soap goodness, this cleaner can be made in moments and lasts for weeks, see details here 

Have you got any go-to homemade cleaners? 
Do please share them in the comments. 

Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, cartoons, music and recipes! 

However, not all the food and recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. 

All the best Jan

51 comments:

Tom said...

...cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a great, informative post. I've added a link to this on my blog, so I can find it again. Thank you for sharing this. (I've also read that vinegar can be used to wash clothes that smell musty, to get the smell out.)

Jo said...

I can't say I enjoy housework, I do it because it's got to be done, and I don't enjoy ironing either.

R's Rue said...

Thanks. 🌷

JFM said...

A very useful post and needed post, too!!!
Thank you very much!!!


Stay Safe 🌷

Valerie-Jael said...

Some interesting ideas and tips, thanks. But I hate rubber gloves! Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I use vinegar, but some of these are new to me. Thanks!

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing these ideas!

Christine said...

Thanks for this great info!

Caty said...

The salmon with vodka !! Must try it Jan.
Thank you very much for all the tricks you share for the daily cleaning of the house, and I also use vinegar in the washing machine when I wash, it removes lime.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, stay safe and
Big hugs, Caty

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I use some of those mentioned but not heard of the tree tea or vodka ones.

Elephant's Child said...

Vinegar is a wonderful cleaner isn't it? Salt on a vinegar dampened cloth makes a good gentle abrasive too.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Great info, Jan. Thanx.

God bless.

Bill said...

Vinegar is great for a lot of things but I didn't know about clogged drains.
Thanks for sharing!

CJ Kennedy said...

Thanks for the tips. I used to wear bright yellow gloves like yours, but then I developed an allergy to latex 😱 Take care.

Snowbird said...

Oh, I always forget to wear gloves when cleaning or doing dishes. Some wonderful tips here, I will certainly give some a go.xxx

DUTA said...

I successfully use all the above enumerated natural items (except vodka)to clean around the house. I buy and use the cheapest vinegar, and yet it does a wonderful job.
Very valuable information!

Sue said...

What great tips, I must admit I never wear rubber gloves but I really should do 'cos my nail are always in terrible condition. Take care and enjoy the cocktails, Sue x

DVArtist said...

I use some of these cleaning techniques. I am a clean freak so my house is always spotless and sanitized even before covid.

happyone said...

All good suggestions and I do use some of them.

Diane said...

Greetings Jan, love all the cleaning tips. I always wear the yellow gloves for all my cleaning and washing dishes.

Hugs Diane

Kaya said...

That is a wonderful post about natural cleaners. And I saved the recipe how to prepare antibacterial cleaner. It's great.
You post the wonderful recipes, I can find on your blog always a great advice. You share with us a very valuable information Thank you very much!!!
My best wishes to you and your family.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks, Jan, for all the helpful hints. I had never heard of cleaning with vodka, although it might be helpful to the cleaner!! I am bad about wearing gloves, I will admit, except for the really dirty jobs. The worst I find is the garbage disposal. That is a two pair gloves job..Take care and stay well..xxoJudy

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful cleaning info ~ my kind of ideas ~ natural ~

Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Martha said...

Great info! Vinegar is such a great product with so many uses.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Good ideas here, Jan. Natural ingredients are certainly kinder to our environment. I use vinegar and water to wash my windows. Streak free and cheap!

Chris Lally said...

Really appreciate these awesome tips, Jan! Looking forward to trying some of them:)

Sandra Cox said...

I love this list! I do clean my floors with vinegar and water.

handmade by amalia said...

Great tips, Jan. I clean the inside of my electric kettle with vinegar. It works well.
Amalia
xo

aussie aNNie said...

Very informative and ideas here. I love my house smelling clean and use vinegar a lot...xx

Lee said...

I'm a natural cleaner ;)

Practical Parsimony said...

I read an article and view a video by an MD. She said to put vinegar in one bottle and Hydrogen peroxide in another spray bottle. Spray a counter with vinegar first and wipe. Let it dry and spray with peroxide. She said it killed as many germs as any disinfectant spray.

Iris Flavia said...

LOL. I had those glovies, too, when flat sharing. One day I saw the flatmate I didn´t like wearing them. For the first and only time in my life I got a...eeek... wart, the doc said it was of disgust.
Weee. Vodka?!!
Doesn´t vinegar make your home smell bad?
I only knew the lemon one, thank you for the ideas.

Jean said...

Thank you! I haven't got Castile Soap or lemon oil in but they are on order now at Ebay so next week I can have a go at the antibacterial cleaner.
Jean

Margaret D said...

Oh, fancy that. I clean many things with vinegar and water.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

These are great tips, I love using the natural cleaners. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

roughterrain crane said...

Phosphorus in detergent had brought terrible water pollution. People would be wiser today than in old days. Take continuous care and be safe. Have a nice weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

Baking soda also is good at cleaning out burnt on mess on the bottoms of pans. But I must admit, I'd rather vacuum than dust.

Sami said...

I use lemon scented vinegar (lemon peels in vinegar bottle) and bicarbonate soda to clean my bathrooms and kitchen. I also put a dash of vinegar in the water to mop the floors, make my own soaps and my own clothes washing powder - 2 cups Lux soap flakes, 1 cup Washing soda, 1 cup borax - mix all in a container and ready to use.
Sometimes I make a liquid version borax free - https://wholefully.com/homemade-borax-free-laundry-detergent/
I don't like using chemical stuff, just going through that aisle in the supermarket makes me cough my lungs out!
Thanks Jan, have a wonderful weekend.

mamasmercantile said...

Great tips some of which I do already use. I am not a fan of ironing, I do it because it needs to be done. Take care.

sandy said...

hi Jan - i enjoyed the article. Good advice and tips. I don't wear gloves when I clean because it's harder to hold the glass of vodka while vacuuming... (i know ...uncalled for, lol). Anyway, hope you and Eddie have a great weekend. also that recipe above ...looks delicious.

Teresa said...

Me parecen muy buenos y algunos los llevaré a cabo. Besitos.

Jules said...

Some very useful tips, thank you. Like yourself, I do enjoy ironing. I find it quite relaxing. X

sheila 77 said...

Lots of really interesting and useful cleaning tips here, Jan, thanks.
Like you I enjoy ironing which I do while listening to music or a podcast. Most people don't seem to like it. Nice that Eddie likes to vacuum.

Jeanie said...

This is good. And very timely. I never thought about vodka. I don't think I have any. I wish I did! (in more ways than one!) Vinegar, lemon and baking soda have always been three of my favorites but I never thought of doing the floor with it. Thanks. I'll be returning to this one.

Louca por porcelana said...

Thank you for the tips!Best wishes!

Conniecrafter said...

some great ideas here, thanks! I don't know if you have it over there but Dawn dish liquid soap, and vinegar together cleans sinks and tubs really well. We also have harsh water stains here too and that gets rid of them too!

Debbie said...

these are some really awesome tips. i saved this in my cleaning folder on my computer!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

baking soad and vinegar is so useful!

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent Jan! Thank you for this list! We have been using vinegar. My uses used coffee grinds for blocked drains. My mom thinks ironing is theraputic too! LOL!
Stay safe. Big Hugs!

Sue (this n that) said...

Excellent advice Jan. We have septic system so I use the vinegar and bicarb to clean the toilet... would make perfect sense for drains too, thank you!