Total Pageviews

Sunday 5 June 2022

An Epic Summer Salad

We use so many different adjectives in our daily lives to describe many different things. Today I am going to use the word epic to describe a salad! However, it would be just as easy to use wonderful, delicious, awesome ... should you try this recipe I wonder how you would describe it?

Summer Salad … it's epic!
Perfect for BBQs and buffets, this is an assembly job of gorgeous ingredients – no cooking required.


Ingredients
Serves Six
400g black beans, drained
2 large handfuls baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
500g heritage tomatoes, chopped into large chunks
½ cucumber, halved length-ways, seeds scooped out and sliced on an angle
1 mango, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 large red onion, halved and finely sliced
6-8 radishes, sliced
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
100g feta, crumbled
handful of herbs (reserved from the dressing)
For the dressing
large bunch mint
small bunch coriander
small bunch basil
1 fat green chilli, de-seeded and chopped
1 small garlic clove
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp honey

Method
1. Make the dressing by blending all of the ingredients in a food processor (or very finely chop them), saving a few herb leaves for the salad. You can make the dressing up to 24 hrs before serving.
2. Scatter the beans and spinach over a large platter. Arrange the tomatoes, cucumber, mango, onion and radishes on top and gently toss together with your hands. Top the salad with the avocados, feta and herbs, and serve the dressing on the side.
Nutrition: Per serving
fat 30g carbs 18g protein 8g
From an original idea here

A variety of recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

36 comments:

Tom said...

...no cooking in the heat of the summer is ideal.

Catarina said...

Fabulous salad!! My kind of salad!

My name is Erika. said...

That looks amazing. Yes, an epic summer salad is a good name for it!

Kay said...

Oh wow! That looks totally amazing! Kind of a lot of work to make it though?

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Thanks for this suggestion for a summer salad. This sounds perfect! I may just leave the dressing as a choice for each person ( everyone is different in this house!) - Jenn

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. I will remember this when summer rolls around again.

Christine said...

Delicious!

kathyinozarks said...

Delicious

Margaret D said...

Looks a yummy one Jan. Found some comments of yours in my Spam so have now published them.

aussie aNNie said...

My kind of salads....

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy, have a great day, Valerie

linda said...

Sounds lovely yum. Have a lovely Sunday

eileeninmd said...

Looks delicious, I would love to try this salad.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Uma salada com aspecto delicioso.
Um abraço e tenha um bom Domingo.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

CJ Kennedy said...

You had me at no cooking

Maria Rodrigues said...

In summer, salads are always in our meals.
How delicious this looks, I've saved the recipe.
Hugs and all the best for you
Maria

Sondra said...

Wow that looks awesome, cooking is not in my vocabulary right now it's way too hot...this salad has all my favs in it...
Happy June!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love salads. Especially in the summer. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy June. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Ananka said...

That salad looks super amazing and tasty. I must admit to liking a good salad :-D

happyone said...

I love salads like these.

Debbie said...

wow!! everything about this salad is amazing. the ingredients for the salad itself and the dressing!!!

Martha said...

I like a good salad!

sandy said...

This looks SO good!! the ingredients are great and so healthy.
Hope you and Eddie have a relaxing time....just wondering if the jubilee is still going - does it go over many days...I'll have to google that when i get back home.

Adam said...

Nice salad

Sue said...

This looks absolutely delicious, you had me at 'no cook' Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

Jeanie said...

That IS epic -- and it looks fabulous!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Wow! This does sound amazing! We recently combined mango and avocado in a salsa to have over chicken. I love the idea of this combo in a salad.

Conniecrafter said...

Salads are just the best in summer time :)

DVArtist said...

Oh yes, I could eat this everyday.

Rose said...

I sure would be willing to try this if someone had it.

William Kendall said...

I have never had mango.

Phil Slade said...

We saw some pretty big salads in Greece, mostly on other diners tables. But we never saw one as epic as your own. Jan and Eddie you need to trademark the name and that list of ingredients for posterity and big eaters alike.

Teresa said...

Una buena ensalada. Besos.

Lorrie said...

This sounds like the perfect salad for a hot summer night - if we get any of those this year. So far it's been chilly.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't believe how much have missed. Sorry to be late again (story of my life, I fear), but I had another electrical outage last night. Made it four times in three days.

I want to try that salad. I was actually able to buy avocados at reasonable prices for the first time last week since they were banned here.


David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great salad. It never ceases to amaze me how salad ingredients can be combined in so many different ways.