Total Pageviews

Tuesday 7 June 2022

Meet Henry ... he's a fluffy ginger cat

Well, you can't say there isn't variety on this blog. Whether it be articles and studies about diabetes and living the low carb lifestyle, to a wide variety of recipe suggestions, and even washing tips - there is variety - and they do say 'variety is the spice of life'.

But how about this one?

How Henry the cat won the hearts of Addenbrooke's Hospital

A fluffy ginger cat has gained a following of more than 4,500 on Facebook after making a hospital his second home over the past five years. Henry has become a familiar sight to patients and staff at Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge. Patients said they had been soothed by his presence and staff told of being "calmed" by his cuddles after shifts. The hospital said Henry was a "character" but urged people not to tempt him inside.

photo credit A Crissall

Pictures of the photogenic feline spawned a Facebook page, which sets out to " keep up morale of all at Addenbrooke's".

Two of Jo Stranix's sisters met Henry when they came to visit their father, who has been in Addenbrooke's for several months. They had not been able to see him due to Covid-19 visitor restrictions. "We weren't sure if this was going to be the last time they would see him alive," she said. The visit had been distressing but Henry was there when they left. "They told me 'in that moment he made us all smile' and I was so thankful to that cat I'd never met for being there to comfort my sisters in some small way when I couldn't."

One parent, whose 14-year-old son had been treated for leukaemia for several years, said: "Henry really does bring joy to patients and staff alike. "You know it's going to be a good day when you get to see Henry."

A worker said Henry, who is seven, had helped her "massively during the first wave of Covid". "Seeing Henry's ginger fluffy face at the end of the day was soothing. It's hard to explain really."

Another said: "When I've had a challenging day and I see [Henry] and I call his name - his tail pops up and he comes for a chin rub. Henry is a big sparkle of joy."

Henry's owners, who wished to remain anonymous, said he had a loving home nearby. They became aware of his "exploring" via social media. "I would try to bring him home, but that never lasted more than a couple of days," the owner said. "It's so nice that he's making so many people happy - if he helps just one person [then] that's more than many cats do."

Aleks, a member of the hospital security team, has come across Henry many times as they both patrol the site. "Only animals that support our patients are allowed inside the hospital - they have to have a harness and fluorescent strips," he said. "But Henry does a great job just putting a smile on a grumpy person in the morning, or brings out a smile from a teenager in a wheelchair." He said he had occasionally been called on to evict Henry from inside the buildings and added: "There would be people who are not happy that a cat is browsing around the hospital, but 99% of people love him."

Henry also inspired the hospital's recruitment administrator, Thalia Barnes, to paint a portrait of him for an art exhibition at Addenbrooke's, called The Best of Us. "He has been a great sense of therapy and companionship to all those who are graced by his presence," she said. "We are very lucky to have such a wonderful animal, in fact not just an animal, but a part of the [hospital trust] family."

A Cambridge University Hospitals spokesperson said: "Henry the cat is very much a character and does seem to have found a place in the hearts of many of our staff and patients. "However, for obvious reasons of infection control, no animals other than Pets As Therapy dogs and guide dogs are allowed in the hospital so please do not tempt him into the concourse with food or other treats, which are also bad for his health."
Story from here

Do you own a cat? Can you relate to this story?
Eddie and I do not have a cat (or any pets) but we have family members who do and they are certainly characters that make you smile.

Thanks for reading - enjoy your day.

All the best Jan

39 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a story.

This N That said...

Cats are great company..I've had at least one for the last 30 years..Easier than dogs!! I have one of each but no more dogs..

Christine said...

Attractive cat.

Hootin Anni said...

Yes, we have a lynx point Siamese. I do love cars, and I❤️ Henry!! What a heart warming story.

Elephant's Child said...

What a lovely story. Thank you - and Ginger.

My name is Erika. said...

I think more health care and elderly residences should have visiting animals. Animals can do so much for people's morale and spirit. Henry is a handsome guy, isn't he?

J.P. Alexander said...

Lindo gatito. Los animales de compañía siempre traen alegrías. Te mando un beso

Tom said...

...quite a stare.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a handsome boy he is, I can see why he makes so many people happy.

happyone said...

Such a nice story and he sure is a handsome guy. :)
Don't have a cat now but have in he past.

Margaret D said...

Nice story Jan.

Hilly Nicolay said...

I have a cat, her name is Milly.
She often lays on my lap and calms me down.
You can find a picture of her on my poetry blog.

A nice story about the cat, thank you.

Greetings and all the best,
Hilly

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Muito bonito este belo gato.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Valerie-Jael said...

Cats always have a mind of their own, and I love that this one goes to the hospital to cheer people up! Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Nice story, Henry sounds like a great therapy animal.
Cute kitty! Take care, enjoy your day!

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

For those of us who love animals, this comment comes to us in a special way, it is something that cannot be described.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story.
Best regards.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello,
Nice post of this famous cat.
Many human loves him. Very funny.

Many greetings,
Marco

CJ Kennedy said...

Awww, Henry is adorable. So nice to read a feel good news item.

Phil Slade said...

That's what I kike. A good story about cats, and animals in general who can have therapeutic effect on people who are ill in lots of ways but also their effect on people who are not necessarily ill but gain benefit from being close to animals.(and birds).

Practical Parsimony said...

My severe cat allergies and dog sensitivities preclude my having cats. I tried having outdoor cats, but that did not work. I am sorry, but I would be very upset if a saw a cat in a hospital or nurses touching it. My nose is itching just thinking about it. I do love cats and dogs, just not near me. Now, if there were a chicken, I would not mind at all...lol.

pam nash said...

I understand why hospitals and other facilities don't allow pets inside but, sometimes, a dog or cat is very soothing to a patient.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Great story. Henry is a handsome and compassionate cat.

carol l mckenna said...

Henry ~ you are so handsome ~ great photo ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Ananka said...

I have 3 cats and love them with all my heart. I think animals make the world a better place and they can be so therapeutic :-D

Debbie said...

i am not a cat person and i too am allergic!! what a beautiful cat!!

Snowbird said...

What a wonderful story! It has certainly put a smile on my face. Such a beautiful, unusual looking cat.xxx

Bill said...

What a wonderful story. At one time we had 4 cats and they were lots of fun. Each one was unique in their own way.

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful story. I easily believe that just the presence of the cat helps patients and staff alike. I don't own a cat, but cats have always come to me. Currently, two cats have moved into my garden permanently (their owners know about it) and a few more are passing through each day, stopping for a short pat on the back.

Jeanie said...

A friend just sent me this article today. I'm in love with Henry. Definitely the perfect therapy cat making a difference!

Rose said...

I so loved this...we have two old cats...one we used to call our court jester. He really has been a clown. I have so many cat and dog stories...they do add a lot to life.

peppylady (Dora) said...

We had Ginger cat, Ziggy. Who live to rip old age of 20.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Crafty Green Poet said...

What a lovely story! Henry seems like a wonderful cat! He reminds me of the cat who lives up the road from us, who seems to have instigated a one way queueing system for passers-by to pet him - he rarely seems to be alone and everyone loves him!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh I know how they can lift you up when your down, we have two cats, one ginger we rescued from the humane society and one all black that was born under our deck and just cried and cried, finally hubby went out and asked what's wrong and he came running out and hubby couldn't resist letting him in and we adopted him too. So wonderful that the hospital lets him in and that he has helped so many.

sandy said...

He is a beautiful cat with such a loving story - ..yes I have a cat and I never knew how loving a cat could be until I actually had one. Cats seek comfort all the time ..well when they are in the mood...and so she loves to get close and cuddle. Loved the article.

It's me said...

Beautiful hartwarming story…no cats here I am allergic …but I have Leaf she is my life ….love Happy day Ria and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀

Teresa said...

Me parece preciosa esta noticia, los gatos y perros pueden hacer felices a las personas. Besos.

NatureFootstep said...

When I was a child that was avery unusual color of a cat. But that have changed. I se quite many nowadays.

Mom of 12 said...

The doctor put me on a high protein, low carb diet several months ago. With God's help, I have lost 47 lbs.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Henry has captured my heart. I love this story. Bleubeard, Squiggles, and I give Henry four paws and two thumbs up!!