Total Pageviews

Friday 3 June 2022

Coronation Chicken : Perfect for a Celebration

Many readers will know, that here, in the UK, Her Majesty The Queen will become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee after 70 years of service. There are many celebrations both locally and nationwide to join in and celebrate Her Majesty’s historic reign and there is a Platinum Jubilee Central Weekend which takes place from 2nd to 5th June.


On Thursday (2nd June) Eddie and I watched Trooping the Colour and the amazing fly-past, it was wonderful to see The Queen on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with her close family, and the great grandchildren were just adorable.


Back in 1953 a dish called Coronation chicken was first created to celebrate the Queen's coronation and has been a firm favourite ever since.

Details from Wikipedia state "Constance Spry, an English food writer and flower arranger, and Rosemary Hume, a chef, both principals of the Cordon Bleu Cookery School in London, are credited with the invention of coronation chicken. Preparing the food for the banquet of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, Spry proposed the recipe of cold chicken, curry cream sauce and dressing that would later become known as coronation chicken.

Coronation chicken may have been inspired by jubilee chicken, a dish prepared for the silver jubilee of George V in 1935, which mixed chicken with mayonnaise and curry. Additionally, for the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002, another celebratory dish was devised, also called Jubilee chicken."

In 2022 there has been a special Platinum Pudding competition to help celebrate the jubilee and the winner was an impressive trifle which can be seen here 

But back to the Coronation Chicken, if you'd like to have your own special occasion featuring this dish these are the ingredients you will need ...

Serves Six
1 chicken stock cube
500 g (British) chicken breast fillet
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tbsp tomato purée
0.5 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp apricot jam
Zest and juice of ½ a washed, un-waxed lemon
100 ml (lighter) mayonnaise
100 ml 2% fat natural yogurt
60 g flaked almonds
2 tbsp washed and chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Fresh watercress leaves, washed, to garnish

Here is how to make the dish ...
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the stock cube and stir to dissolve. Reduce to a simmer and poach the chicken breasts for 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of the fillets) until cooked through and no pink colour remains. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to cool before shredding. Discard the stock.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion for about 10 minutes, until softened. Stir in the curry powder, tomato purée, cider vinegar and jam, and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and spoon into a large bowl.
3. Add the shredded chicken along with the lemon zest and juice, mayonnaise, yogurt, ⅔ of the flaked almonds and 1 tablespoon of the parsley and stir until well coated.
4. To serve, place on a serving platter and garnish with the watercress and remaining almonds and parsley.

Optional - Serve with some crusty white bread.
For low carb bread recipes have a look here
Original recipe idea here


~ wishing all readers a happy day ~

This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Tom said...

...she is amazing.

Lee said...

The Trooping of the Colours was on TV here last night (Thursday night). I recorded it, and have not yet watched it. All the events will be shown here over the weekend. It's a huge event...a massive achievement. :)

shirleysimplerecipe said...

Nice history 😃!

sandy said...

That would be something to see. That's a long time.

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed this post, I was wondering when her celebration would take place. the chicken looks delicious too Kathy

William Kendall said...

Everything but the curry would appeal to me.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Es genial que la reina siga gobernando tanto tiempo. Te mando un beso.

Anonymous said...

We have been watching the jubilee celebrations on the news -christine at https://cmlk79.blogspot.com

peppylady (Dora) said...

It looks yummy
Coffee is on and stay safe

Elephant's Child said...

I wonder how many times the Queen has been served coronation chicken. More than once for every year of her reign is my guess.

Practical Parsimony said...

I am watching the festivities best I can on TV. However, I don't get up so early I see it all.

Margaret D said...

That seems a lovely recipe.
The Queen and the celebrations were on our TV so I did watch a bit.

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Good recipe for a very special day, without a doubt the celebration of the queen has gone around the world, a lifetime dedicated to the crown.
Happy weekend.
Best regards.

It's me said...

Happy weekend and celebrate…..love from me and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It sounded wonderful until I got to the mayo. I'm highly allergic to it. Other than that, it sounds great. I'm also enjoying the celebration.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I have seen some of the festivities on the news. The chicken recipe sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This sounds delicious.

My name is Erika. said...

I love that the Queen is setting all kinds of royalty records. She deserves that. And I also love that coronation chicken is still around. The Platinum trifle looks pretty yummy too. Enjoy your celebrations.

bread&salt said...

Chicken base meals are our favourite. I havent tried this recipe before and it is si new for us. It sounds really good. Thanks. Greetings.

Jeanie said...

I watched, too! I adore her.

I might have to make this. The curry sounds very good, especially and I have some chicken in the freezer! Maybe for the weekend.

DVArtist said...

Chicken recipes are always welcome. Have a lovely day.

linda said...

I'll have to try this, I have all the ingredients as well, enjoy your jubilee weekend. 😊

Valerie-Jael said...

Good enough for a queen! Valerie

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde. Culinária e história. A matéria ficou maravilhosa e interessante. Bom final de semana.

Sally said...

I think it's so wonderful that Queen Elizabeth has reigned for a long time. She has only (as far as I know) just recently shown some signs of slowing down.

The recipe looks SO good. I might try to make that even though I'm not known for being a great cook. :)

It's good to see you again. I hope before long; I can get back to doing a bit of blogging.
xoxo

happyone said...

Looking good.

Barwitzki said...

Great... I'm so excited to celebrate the Queen's anniversary. It's wonderful that you attended Trooping the Color... For example, the flight picture of the planes with the 70 - was particularly fascinating.
I wish you a lot of happiness :-)))
I'm going to recreate the dish and when I get all the ingredients together this weekend... of course... including the almond flour spinach bread. Thank you.
Best regards, Viola

Ananka said...

She has done so well. I haven't watched any of it, not had a chance but seen a lot of the photos online. I know this dish is very popular still!

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for sharing this iconic recipe. It looks just as I remembered it. What a wonderful celebration this is for Her Majesty.

Magaly Guerrero said...

After seeing this yummy chicken, I want to celebrate too!

Have a fantastic weekend.

Teresa said...

Buena receta, para celebrar el reinado de la reina. Besos.

Martha said...

70 years of service! That is incredible. Such a classy lady.

Conniecrafter said...

That is so neat you could be there for it, we did watch some of it on the tv, I wish they would have had more coverage on it here.
That recipe does sound good :)

This N That said...

Looks like a yummy recipe..ALmost makes me tempted to cook..LOL
70 years!!! That's a long time..Some of us don't live that long...Nice Celebration !!