Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 June 2022

June can be a wonderful month for Strawberries

June, in the UK, marks the true start of summer, bringing with it plenty of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables to enjoy. Bright crisp radishes and salad leaves add punchy flavour to salads and sides, while broccoli is a reliable addition to any easy summer dinner. The abundance of fresh summer fruit means desserts require minimal effort – big bowls of strawberries and double (heavy) cream are all you need for a delicious way to finish a meal.


Strawberries
These iconic berries are at their best from now until September. Store them unwashed in the fridge but bring to room temperature before eating to maximise their sweet flavour. I enjoy eating some with double (heavy) cream.

You may wish to try
Strawberries with sugar free and low carb Vanilla Ice Cream - see details here
Strawberry Cheesecake - see details here
Low Carb Strawberry Sponge Cake (made in the microwave) - see details here
Triple Berry Summer Salad - see details here

Do you enjoy eating strawberries? Do you have a favourite recipe that uses strawberries, do please share your thoughts in the comments.

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy ... but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Tom said...

...our local strawberries are starting to be picked.

DVArtist said...

I really like strawberries, mostly just plain. Have a nice day.

Miss Val's Creations said...

We just bought local strawberries and peaches over the weekend. I have been putting the berries in my morning oatmeal, salad at lunch and yogurt at night (yes, I'm a creature of habit!). Strawberries are such a delicious treat with so many ways to enjoy them.

Lee said...

I love strawberries,and when they're in season down this way, I eat loads of them! :)

Christine said...

Love strawberries.

J.P. Alexander said...

Adoro las fresas, te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I had some strawberries and blueberries this evening.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Margaret D said...

Love strawberries, often eat them but not so much lately. Mostly Australia has them all year, might be one month in winter when they are not available. This year is a bit different because where they grow them up north in winter the area was flooded, so shortage.

Elephant's Child said...

Mmmm strawberries. I do love summer fruit.

Valerie-Jael said...

Who doesn't love strawberries? Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love strawberries and buy some every week.
Have a great day and happy week ahead.

My name is Erika. said...

There's nothing better than fresh picked strawberries. I am waiting for them to ripen; it will be soon!

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes! Ours are for sale or picking here, too!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

R's Rue said...

I love fresh strawberries with whip cream.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I adore strawberries and we are enjoying local ones right now in Pennsylvania. thanks for the ideas of how to use them in recipes. We tend to just dig in and devour.

Divers and Sundry said...

There's nothing like fresh fruits and veggies!

happyone said...

Oh yes strawberries. Love em. Growing some this year and the first one has just turned red!! :)

Lorrie said...

Strawberries are so delicious! Ours are just beginning to ripen and I picked a bowlful on Sunday. We're enjoying them with our yogurt for breakfast.

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh, I love strawberries. I love to make fresh smoothies with them too. Now I am thinking about a strawberry cheese cake. LOL! Happy Flag Day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sue said...

Yes I'm up for all of those strawberry dishes - yum! x

linda said...

I love strawberries but have to be very careful and eat just a couple because I get an allergic reaction if I eat too many. ☹️

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The last strawberries I had were not very nice, very hard and tasteless. They were out of season and imported from somewhere. I shall have to get some now that they are in season.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love strawberries and can eat one or two with breakfast. Our season is over for them but I did go blackberry picking this weekend! That was fun....and hot! lol

Bill said...

Fresh strawberries are the best, I love them.

sandy said...

ohhh..thanks for the links to those desserts - they sound so good.
Love the post.

Rose said...

I love fresh strawberries...to eat them as I pick them! Where I used to work, we had strawberries. When I was a child, my mom used to can them...I have never heard of anyone else doing that. And I was too little to remember how. But we would open a jar...she always used a pint jar, anyway, we would open them and put some in a bowl and we would pour cream over them!

Conniecrafter said...

We just had strawberries for dessert tonight, they are all done here already but we get them from California now

Martha said...

Those are such great recipes! We love strawberries in this house.

Jeanie said...

I love strawberries -- and mine are a mess. I'll have a photo soon. They've been crowded out by Black-Eyed Susans and sweet peas and not getting enough sun. Those that ripen seem to be getting picked off by other birds or other critters that eat a bite and leave the rest. I wish they'd learn by now that they don't like them and leave them for me! Maybe next year I can take advantage of your recipes!

Ananka said...

I really enjoy strawberries :-D

William Kendall said...

Local strawberries are coming into season now.

italiafinlandia said...

We grow our own strawberries but in our climate they get ripe in July.

Jules said...

Hand picked strawberries taste delicious, although mine are in short supply this year :)

Snowbird said...

My strawberries are beginning to ripen, as soon as they do Littl'urchun devours them!xxx

It's me said...

Love strawberries…my favorite summer fruit love 🍓🍓🍓🍀

carol l mckenna said...

Strawberries ~ Yum! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

He recogido bastantes fresas en el jardín, y como has visto en mi blog, hice mermelada y las comimos con nata, también con zumo de limón y azúcar. Besos.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Strawberries are wonderful! A couple of weeks ago, before we got COVID we were at a summer fair, where a stall was selling strawberries in mini ice cream cones, a very sweet idea and delicious too!