Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 June 2022

Vitamin C : Did You Know ?

Did you know, that Vitamin C is an essential nutrient
Vitamins and minerals are nutrients your body needs in small amounts to work properly and stay healthy. Most people should get all the nutrients they need by having a varied and balanced diet, although some people may need to take extra supplements.

This article looks at:-
"Vitamin C, which is also known as ascorbic acid, and has several important functions.
These include:
helping to protect cells and keeping them healthy
maintaining healthy skin, blood vessels, bones and cartilage
helping with wound healing

Lack of vitamin C can lead to scurvy.

Good sources of vitamin C
Vitamin C is found in a wide variety of fruit and vegetables.
Berries
Blackcurrants
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cantaloupe
Cauliflower
Grapefruit
Kiwi fruit
Leafy greens
Mango
Oranges
Orange Juice
Papaya
Peppers
Pineapple
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Squash
Strawberries
Watermelon

Some examples of foods containing high levels of vitamin C. Image from here

How much vitamin C do I need?
Adults aged 19 to 64 need 40mg of vitamin C a day.

You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need from your daily diet.

Vitamin C cannot be stored in the body, so you need it in your diet every day.

What happens if I take too much vitamin C?
Taking large amounts (more than 1,000mg per day) of vitamin C can cause:
stomach pain
diarrhoea
flatulence

These symptoms should disappear once you stop taking vitamin C supplements.

What does the Department of Health and Social Care (UK) advise?
You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need by eating a varied and balanced diet.

If you take vitamin C supplements, do not take too much as this could be harmful.

Taking less than 1,000mg of vitamin C supplements a day is unlikely to cause any harm."
The above information taken from article here

The above is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.


Broccoli a good source of Vitamin C
Don't throw those broccoli stalks away - more to read here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

23 comments:

dellgirl said...

Yes, I did know that Vitamin C is an essential nutrient. Therefore, I Thank you for sharing this helpful information. It’s easy to understand and also good to know. I really appreciate the list. Wishing you all the best, dear friend!

Jenn Jilks said...

I did know this!

sandy said...

Lots of good info on Vitamin C. I think I get enough..from looking at that list.

Tom said...

...it an important one!

Christine said...

A very important vitamin fortunately readily available in foods

J.P. Alexander said...

Sabia algo sobre la vitamina c pero no todo. Genial entrada. Te mando un beso

Elephant's Child said...

I did know it is an essential - and I do get a daily dose.

Linda said...

Some people have a problem with just 1000 mg dose (me!) Others take megadoses in hopes of passing a drug test. I don’t know if that works but it seems risky

speedy70 said...

Grazie, un post molto interessante e utile!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, vitamin c is important for us! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am glad to see Vitamin C is in so many food items.
Great info, thanks for sharing.
Take care, enjoy your day!

CJ Kennedy said...

😊

Little Wandering Wren said...

I'm lucky I tend to love all foods high in Vitamin C so don't have a problem in eating enough - I enjoyed the post on broccoli stalks too, I never thought of giving them to the dog, great idea!
Have a great day
Wren x

Ananka said...

It is so important isn't it!

happyone said...

An important one and found in many foods.

Bill said...

A very important vitamin. Thanks for sharing the info.

Rose said...

It is probably one I do not need to worry about. When I broke my leg the surgeon had me take extra vitamin C.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm trying to pay attention to eating healthier foods. The vitamin C content is certainly important.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love every fruit and veggie listed. So glad you shared this article, Jan.

Jeanie said...

I actually did know most of this! Vitamin C is a key part of my life!

Teresa said...

Me encanta todo lo de la lista, creo que tomo bien de vitamina C. Besos y gracias por la información.

William Kendall said...

Vitamin C, or the lack of it, features into a book I've just been re-reading.

Conniecrafter said...

by reading all the foods that have it in them I think i get plenty from my diet