Total Pageviews

Monday 13 June 2022

Did You Know - Five Random Facts !

Did you know?

Snakes can predict earthquakes.
Many animals are able to predict earthquakes to varying levels of success. Yet, snakes are the most reliable, sensing earthquakes from as far as 75 miles away (121 km). What’s more impressive is that they can sense an earthquake as many as five days before it actually occurs! When snakes sense an earthquake, they often leave their nests, even if the temperature is too cold.

Crows often hold grudges against specific people.
Crows are excellent at recognizing people’s faces and are able to remember people for a long time! This can be either a negative or positive fact, depending on how nice you are to them. While crows can tell us apart, we would find it difficult to distinguish one crow from another.

If you lift a kangaroo’s tail off the ground, it can’t hop.
Kangaroos use their tails for balance whilst hopping. So if you elevate their tail, they would have no balance and fall over. There are cases where kangaroos have lost their tails and can still move around. But, it took them a long time to adjust, and they can only move small distances at a time! Their tails aren’t only for balance – they also act as a third leg, propelling them forward just as much as their legs do!

During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill 50 bathtubs!
The average person produces roughly one ounce (30 ml) of saliva every hour. That’s 24.3 ounces (720 ml) or one full wine bottle’s worth of saliva a day, which is an average of 69 gallons (263 litres) per year. The average global life expectancy is about 72 years. This means that you produce an average of 4,968 gallons (18,936 liters) of saliva in your lifetime. That’s enough to fill 50 bathtubs!

Car manufacturer Volkswagen makes sausages.
Most people know Volkswagen for their iconic line of campervans, the Kombi, or even the Beetle. A lesser-known product that comes out of Volkswagen’s factories is currywurst sausages. Now why in the world would Volkswagen make sausages?
VW built one of their factories in a remote location and decided to make their own food for the factory workers. Their sausages were so popular that Volkswagen ended up selling them commercially. Fun Fact - Volkswagen’s sausages are so popular that they bring in more revenue than their cars!!

Talking of sausages, have you tried this recipe? 
Summer vegetables and sausage traybake casserole
you can see the recipe details here


This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of recipe ideas, food suggestions and articles within the blog. Not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

Just a reminder to keep checking your spam folder as many bloggers are finding comments are going incorrectly into spam

All the best Jan

36 comments:

Tom said...

...none of these have hit my radar screen.

Conniecrafter said...

These were all very interesting but the sausages bringing in more income then the cars was a real shock!

My name is Erika. said...

I knew about VW and sausage, but none of the others. Fun facts!

J.P. Alexander said...

Genial no conocía los datos y me pareció muy rica la receta.

Pam said...

HAHA, I did not know any of that. Interesting about the bathtub....since I sleep with my mouth open I bet I produce more!! haha....

Alicia said...

Wow, those are some pretty interesting facts, especially the one about how much saliva we produce!

Christine said...

Enjoyed these interesting facts!

Practical Parsimony said...

I have heard that about crows, but not the other four facts.

Margaret D said...

Didn't know about the sausages - but all good things to read.

Elephant's Child said...

Eeeuw on the saliva pact. Those are baths I would not enjoy.

aussie aNNie said...

Interesting facts x

Valerie-Jael said...

I've never heard of Volkswagen sausages, must have a look if I can see them somewhere. have a great week, Valerie

Fun60 said...

Hadn't heard any of those facts before.

Sue said...

Well I didn't know any of that! (and I'm trying hard to forget about the saliva)! I do know that I like sausages though and this recipe looks delicious. I don't have many recipes for the humble sausage yet I prefer them to a steak anytime!
Have a great week Jan & Eddie, Sue xx

eileeninmd said...

Interesting facts, I did not know that VW makes sausages.
Have a great day and happy new week!

R's Rue said...

Looks delicious.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Neat facts! Thank you for the smile makers
People can also sense earthquakes, more than 75 miles away as in around the globe. How far in advance I don't know. There is a magnetic field tension that builds as the Earth's magnetic field does. One symptom/sign is a sort of insomnia.

Divers and Sundry said...

Don't offend the crows. That's excellent advice :)

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun post. I especially love Volkswagen sausages.

Jenn Jilks said...

knew 1 and 2, but that is all!

Debbie said...

i did not know any of that...but should i?? lol

the sheet pan dish looks delicious!!!

Carla from The River said...

Ha.. fun! ;-)

Maria Rodrigues said...

Interesting curiosities, I didn't know any of them.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Jeff said...

Well, I'm going to start being nicer to crows!

dellgirl said...

Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful information with us. It’s good to learn about this from you. I really appreciate it. Wishing you well, my friend!

happyone said...

I knew about the kangaroos and the crows but not the others.

Ananka said...

Crows are amazing and really intelligent creatures, I am really interested in them. Didn't know that about VW haha I have a Polo!

dellgirl said...

Goodness gracious, Jan. I intended to thank you for the tip to: Keep checking our spam folder as many bloggers are finding comments are going incorrectly into spam. But as usual, I said something else first and forgot. Thank you for the Spam Folder tip.

DVArtist said...

Very interesting. I did know a few of them. Have a great day.

Lee said...

You'd have to be pretty brave, or pretty silly to try to lift a kangaroo's tail! They've got a very powerful kick and can do a lot of damage! I think I'll leave their tails alone! :)

Jeanie said...

I knew none of this. I wouldn't want to be the person who tried lifting the kangaroo tail.

sandy said...

I did not know those facts but they are sure interesting and I would have thought I'd read of them along the way in life..especially the bathtub one and saliva, wow, how could one forget that fact if they ever came across it.

Teresa said...

Me parece muy interesante lo que nos cuentas. Gracias y besos.

Iris Flavia said...

#1 - there is a The Simpsons episode on that.
#2 - I love these birds.
#3 - mean, don´t do it ;-)
#4 - ew.
#5 - main plant: each Thursday, BZN Tuesdays. You can buy them in shops, as well as their ketchup. They have small ones since several years, too. We call them VW-Currywurst.

William Kendall said...

I knew that about the crows. A colleague and friend once bad mouthed a crow, and I'm convinced the crow told all their friends and pointed him out. I've tried on many occasions to play the peacemaker and talk to them like they're old friends.

Snowbird said...

Goodness, what fascinating, interesting facts, especially about the snakes.xxx