Total Pageviews

Saturday 4 June 2022

'Physical activity monitors have some role in increasing activity by 10 minutes a day'

An interesting article on Diabetes Diet Blog highlighted the use of physical activity monitors. I do not have one, but many family members have smart watches or some sort of physical activity monitor. I often wonder are they of any use? Do they increase the amount of exercise you do? Do they make you fitter?

Well, there was recently a systematic review which looked at 121 RCTs (randomised control trials) covering 16,743 participants.

They found that there was a small but definite improvement in physical activity when people wore the trackers.

Physical activity increased by ten minutes a day. This was equivalent to 1,235 daily steps and works out at an additional 48.5 minutes a week.

Do you have one? Do you find it useful? Please share your thoughts in the comments.

xxx ~~ xxx


"Effectiveness of physical activity monitors in adults: systematic review and meta-analysis

Abstract


Objective To estimate the effectiveness of physical activity monitor (PAM) based interventions among adults and explore reasons for the heterogeneity.

Design Systematic review and meta-analysis.

Study selection The electronic databases MEDLINE, Embase, SPORTDiscus, CINAHL, and the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) were searched on 4 June 2021. Eligible randomised controlled trials compared interventions in which adults received feedback from PAMs with control interventions in which no feedback was provided. No restrictions on type of outcome measurement, publication date, or language were applied.

Data extraction and synthesis Two reviewers independently extracted data and assessed risk of bias. Random effects meta-analyses were used to synthesise the results. The certainty of evidence was rated by the Grading of Recommendations Assessment and Evaluation (GRADE) approach.

Main outcome measures The three primary outcomes of interest were physical activity, moderate to vigorous physical activity, and sedentary time.

Results 121 randomised controlled trials with 141 study comparisons, including 16 743 participants, were included. The PAM based interventions showed a moderate effect (standardised mean difference 0.42, 95% confidence interval 0.28 to 0.55) on physical activity, equivalent to 1235 daily steps; a small effect (0.23, 0.16 to 0.30) on moderate to vigorous physical activity, equivalent to 48.5 weekly minutes; and a small insignificant effect (−0.12, −0.25 to 0.01) on sedentary time, equal to 9.9 daily minutes. All outcomes favoured the PAM interventions.

Conclusions The certainty of evidence was low for the effect of PAM based interventions on physical activity and moderate for moderate to vigorous physical activity and sedentary time. PAM based interventions are safe and effectively increase physical activity and moderate to vigorous physical activity. The effect on physical activity and moderate to vigorous physical activity is well established but might be overestimated owing to publication bias."
Above words and full report can be seen here

Please note articles within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

A variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Tom said...

...good to know.

William Kendall said...

I don't have anything like that.

Elephant's Child said...

Interesting. I don't have one, though my phone (when I carry it) counts my steps.

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy interesante, te mando un beso.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have been trying to decide what kind to purchase since I desperately need to increase my activity level. I am enrolled in a research study to determine if weighing each day improves weight loss. I already know it does from the far past...lol. I am throwing everything I have at this weight loss since my life depends on it.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I have a fit bit and it isn't very spot on. 500 steps to my bathroom. I went back to my necklace one.
Coffee is on and stay safe

linda said...

I had a fitbit 1 for years it hooked onto my bra, it definitely motivated qqqqme to move more. Unfortunately it no longer works and I can't find a similar replacement. I don't like the watch type so I've been without one for weeks and I'm missing it.

linda said...

I had a fitbit for 10 years which hooked onto my bra and it definitely motivated me to move more. It no longer works and I feel lost without it.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I used to use the monitor on my mobile phone but it became such a distraction I disabled it!

Valerie-Jael said...

I have a special watch which tracks activity, but also acts as a heart monitor, warns when I have atrial fibrillation and measures my blood oxygen, does ECGs among other things. I always walk a lot, but not because of the watch! Valerie

Jo said...

I have a Fitbit and I must admit that it does make me aware of how much or how little exercise I've taken that day. I definitely try to do more if my step count is low.

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't have a fitness tracker.

Haddock said...

I use Strava to record my movements, Cycling or walking.

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't have one. My daughter does, but she works from home, most days, and it helps her figure out what she is or isn't doing.
I do 20 - 30 minutes a day on my eliptical machine. Weekdays. But I'm running up and down from the trailcams to escape the bugs!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
My phone has an app that tracks my walking for steps and mileage.
I do think the fitbit's encourage people to do more, which is a good thing.
Take care, have a happy weekend.

Giorgio said...

Great post with useful information!
Actually, that tool is important as we have to change our physical exercise in terms of speed, time, path, breathe, etc.
Have a nice Sunday :-)

magiceye said...

Interesting to know. Yes I use Fitbit. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't use anything like that...just make exercise a habit.

happyone said...

I have a Striiv pedometer that I keep in my pocket and have had it for many many years. I've kept track of my steps for years!! I average about 16000 steps a day.

Christine said...

I briefly used a fit bit but it was just a fad for me

Rose said...

I don't have one, though I could turn on an app on my phone. I totally believe that it would make a difference in activity level. Just knowing that it is there tracking what you do. I should do that though I don't always have my phone on me.

Catarina said...

I have one which I put on my wrist first thing in the morning. I feel motivated to walk more. It even reminds me that "it's time to move". I can check my heartbeat, the oxygen level, how many laps I completed in the pool. And it shows me what time it is!! Much more practical then taking my cell from my purse or from my pocket to see the time. :))

Lorrie said...

I wear one every day to count my steps. 11,000 per day is my goal, and I find that if I'm a bit short, I'll go outside in the evening and walk down the street and back to achieve my goal. I don't monitor anything else.

Sue said...

I do have one and wear it all the time. It tracks my swimming laps (though it thinks I do butterfly rather than front crawl)and it tells me all sorts of info about my walks like steps and heartbeat etc - and where to find the car! I don't think it makes me more active but it is nice to look back on the info later. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Sue xx

sandy said...

My sister has a watch and she dances every morning in the kitchen when making breakfast and then goes out walking a lot. It's very inspiring to her to see her steps..etc.

Kay said...

Uh oh... I just looked at my activity level on my Apple Watch. 4 minutes? How can that be? Oops! I've been on the computer a lot today.

Ananka said...

I don't have a watch and I don't like wearing a watch but when I go my walks I always carry my phone for the steps!

Debbie said...

i have always been curious about a fitbit but i think it would bother me to know (in writing) that i don't get enough exercise!!

Jeanie said...

Thank makes sense -- especially if they are synced up and keep reminding you!

Conniecrafter said...

I do have one and I think it is very helpful that it tells you to get up and move every 30 minutes, when I get on the computer or am making cards time gets away from me very easily and an hour or more can fly by without me even realizing it, so this way I get up and move more.

Teresa said...

No tengo, pero tal vez sería interesante. Besos.