Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 October 2016

Chipotle and kale frittata


This is a wonderful one-pan dish, topped with tomato and mint salsa. Each serving is just 5.2g carb so suits many who live the LCHF lifestyle ... and even if you're just looking for a tasty frittata, this fits the bill so well!

Ingredients:

Serves Four
For the frittata:
1 tbsp olive oil
100 g kale, washed and chopped
1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
2 spring onions, (scallions) finely diced
4 whisked eggs with a pinch of salt
1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
For the mint and tomato salsa:
2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
handful of torn mint
1 clove garlic, finely minced
8 slices of jalapeno from a jar, drained on a kitchen towel and finely chopped
half a red onion, (sliced into half moons)
juice of 1 lime
pinch of paprika
salt and olive oil to dress the salsa

Method:
For the frittata:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C / fan 160˚C/ gas mark 4.
2. Using a small frying (skillet) pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the kale, peppers and spring onions (scallions). Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour in the eggs, sprinkle over the chipotle and transfer to the oven to cook for around 5 minutes, or until the eggs are evenly cooked.
For the salsa:
1. To prepare the salsa, add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and mix until all the vegetables are thoroughly covered.
2. To serve, remove the frittata from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes then top with the salsa and serve straight to the table.

Each serving provides:
5.2g carbohydrate 2.4g fibre 9.1g protein 8.8g fat

Recipe idea is from Shelina Permalloo. She is an English cook, author and winner of the MasterChef 2012 UK TV show competition.

It's just a thought - but this recipe may also work well with spinach. If you'd like to read more about Frittata's and quiches see here

I thought I'd also share some autumnal flowers, image from here

All the best Jan

19 comments:

Jo said...

My goodness, that looks fabulous. Very tempting.

JFM said...

I just know that I've gained a few pounds just looking at the delicious food recipes you've been posting, Jan.
Here is more proof~

Christine said...

This looks so colourful and healthy!

Martha said...

One-pan dishes are the best! And this is full of healthy and tasty stuff. Thanks!

Debbie said...

WoW!!! that looks so good!!!

Summer said...

Love it! I imagine this must be really yummy ♥

Anonymous said...

Looks so colourful and I'm sure it will taste delicious. Thanks for another good recipe idea.

Jenny S

The Happy Whisk said...

I recently started to cook with chipotle and I have to tell you, I flippin' love it. Tim always had it out, but out is not an option, so now we make it home.

Oh my yum.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jan,

I like making frittatas and often make them as I find a good way to use up leftovers in the fridge.
Hope you are having a lovely week. Thanks for visiting my blog and sorry I have taken so long to come back and visit you.
Hugs
Carolyn

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello Jan! Your recipes are always delicious to imagine for I enjoy eating this way. And thank you so much for coming to my post to comment. I hope you are enjoying your fall? It's been spectacular here in Minnesota!

happyone said...

Looks delicious and healthy too.

Snowbird said...

That truly looks like a work of art....gorgeous and I bet delicious! What creative dishes you come up with! Always tasty....wish you lived nearby and left samples on my doorstep.xxx

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful and looks delicious and of course, I am beginning to like kale!
The Autumn flowers are gorgeous.

Linda said...

The presentation is lovely!

Gail said...

Your mint looks just like the mint that grows wild along our creek.

Have a blessed week. Thanks for coming by to visit.

Lady Fi said...

Mmm - that sounds and looks delicious! (And healthy)

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Looks super delicious... even though I have some doubts concerning mint in this recipe. :D
Thank you for sharing and have a great rest of the week! xx

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Hummm tem um aspecto bem delicioso.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.
Andarilhar

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Yes, with spinach!!!