Total Pageviews

Tuesday 11 October 2016

Food of the day Aubergine / Egg Plant and three recipe suggestions


Aubergine / Eggplant is a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1, and copper.
It is a good source of manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
Eggplant also contains phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid. 

Aubergine/egg plant information from the Worlds Healthiest Foods site here.
WHF is a not for profit goldmine of great food information.

Why not try this great, aubergine based, low carb lasagne recipe


Ingredients serves two
250 grams ground/minced beef 
1 aubergine/egg plant
1 red onion
A splash of olive oil
300 ml of double (heavy)cream
One 400 grams tin of chopped tomatoes
A cup of fresh grated (shredded) cheddar cheese
Half a red pepper chopped
Half a green pepper chopped
A handful of button mushrooms
Salt, pepper and mixed herbs to taste 

Method:
Fry the finely chopped onion with the olive oil in a large frying pan, Americans call this a skillet I believe. When soft add the minced beef and brown. Add the chopped peppers, mushrooms and chopped tomatoes. Allow to come off the simmer and add the double cream, and stir well. Cut the aubergine into thin slices around 6mm/ around a quarter inch thick. Layer up, one layer of aubergine and one layer of the beef mix, in your oven proof dish, adding some salt, mixed herbs and pepper. Place in oven set at 200c for around thirty minutes. Remove and cover with grated cheddar cheese. Place back in the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.

A tasty dish, that we often enjoy in our house, it's very easy and low carb.

Or how about Stuffed Aubergine (eggplant) roll

you can find the recipe here

 you may also like Prawn, Coconut and aubergine/eggplant curry

 have a look at the recipe here

Hope you may enjoy a tasty and low carb aubergine/eggplant dish soon!

All the best Jan

14 comments:

Christine said...

I love the sound of that lasagne! thanks

Jo said...

It's always good to have a choice. I think the lasagne would be the one I went for out of the three.

Tom said...

I love egg plant!

Anonymous said...

Love aubergine, especially in your lasagne recipe idea.

Jenny S

John M said...

I'd like the lasagna best.

JFM said...

Ditto...the lasagne recipe is my favorite, too! It looks very tasty!!!

Have a wonderful Tuesday, Jan~

Connie said...

I tried growing eggplant in my garden with little success. This makes me want to give it another try. Yum!

Mo said...

yum

Snowbird said...

My eggplants failed this year, so I shall just enjoy these instead. It is such a versatile recipe isn't it?xxx

Debbie said...

Great suggestions for eggplant, one of my favorites!!

Martha said...

All the recipes look yummy! I really like eggplant.

happyone said...

I love eggplant Parmesan and have made it a few times with eggplants from my garden.
They got a late start but they are still growing.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Jan, I miss eggplant so much. This lasagna recipe sounds incredible. Every time I see eggplant I think of my mom who used to fry it up with batter for my dad. It was really good, and she was a good cook.

Thanks for the sweet memories.

~Sheri

Lisa said...

I've tried to introduce this vegetable into a few dishes over the years but it has always been disliked no matter what I put it in!
Lisa x