Total Pageviews

Monday 9 August 2021

Book Lovers Day - August 9th


Book Lovers Day (aka National Book Lovers Day in the US) is celebrated on August 9th every year. This is an unofficial holiday observed to encourage bibliophiles to celebrate reading and literature. People are advised to put away their smartphones and every possible technological distraction and pick up a book to read. Book Lovers Day is widely recognized on a global scale and it seeks to encourage reading on the traditional printed medium, the book. Reading books is easier on eyes than reading on electronic devices. Reading a book can stimulate your mind, reduce stress, and help you acquire knowledge. It can also improve your focus and concentration.

History of Books
The historical archives say that the very first books in the world used parchment or calfskin for the pages.
The covers of the ancient books were made of wood, and they were covered with leathers.
Public libraries appeared in the middle ages. Those were the era when the CCTV camera wasn’t invented, so books were chained to the shelves or desk to prevent theft.
The publishing industry has gone through a huge change over the years. Nowadays, books are printed only after a customer place an order. This is of great benefit for the authors and the distributors.


Why do we celebrate National Book Lovers Day?
Books are the source of knowledge. The books give us information about the eras that we have not seen. The writers should be respected for putting a detailed account of the things in their books. The fiction writers should be appreciated for their wonderful imaginations. The national book lovers day is a tribute to the authors, and it is a day of excitement for all the book lovers.

Books enlighten us, motivate us, and also entertain us. So, book lovers must celebrate national book lovers day. The book lovers are to be celebrated because they are the best motivation for the writers.

Book Lovers Day Facts
According to the Pew Research Centre, 27% of American adults did not read a single book in 2019.

According to lifehack.org, reading literary fiction can increase the ability to feel empathy for others. Empathy is the ability to put oneself in another's shoes. By reading stories with different characters, we can better our understanding of people's situations.

According to lifehack.org, people who continued to read books later in life had a 32% lower rate of declining mental abilities.

Book Lovers Day Top Events and Things to Do
(Covid restrictions allowing)
Visit your local bookstore and find a book series that interests you. The store may be offering a special deal to celebrate the day.

Get a library card! Visit your local library and sign up for one. You'll be able to browse the library's collection and even check out new books.

Host a reading night with friends. Choose a book everyone might be interested in and discuss it after a reading.

It is an age-old saying that books are the best companions. We live in a digital era where e-books are the trend, but the bibliophile will never deny that the scent of the old books mesmerizes the mind. Books are of various types, but they create an impact on our life.

The above taken from sites here and here and here

Although it is book lovers day today, I for one think it should be book lovers day everyday! I do enjoy reading and am currently reading an Anna Jacobs book, I enjoy her historical sagas.

Do you like reading?
What are you reading at the
moment?

All the best Jan 

30 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also think it should be book lover's day every day. What a fabulous post and a "holiday" I knew nothing about. Right now I'm reading a book about college basketball played by a black team and a white team that was illegal at the time.

J.P. Alexander said...

Amo leer. genial entrada. No sabía que era el día d el libro. Te mando un beso

Tom said...

...I have never heard of this before.

Christine said...

Happy book lovers day!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I find reading relaxing.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Practical Parsimony said...

I love books, my friends. I am reading The Bird Way and Hillbilly Elegy. One is for the bedroom and one for the living room.

Elephant's Child said...

I love reading. As usual I have a couple of books on the go. One of them is the Oxford book of Australian Letters.

Linda said...

Books are important, although we don't spend as much time with them now that we read so much online. I used to get armloads of books from the library every week.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Currently I am reading a book called 'The Boy with the Topknot' about an Indian man growing up in UK suburb, it's humorous and gives insight into how it was growing up in the seventees for a family keeping their culture whilst their young tried to integrate with society. Really enjoying it. Although I am reading this book online via my library, I prefer the printed page.

Margaret D said...

Certainly a great day for book lovers.

Valerie-Jael said...

Always good to celebrate books and reading! Valerie

Sue said...

Well I didn't know that! I'm reading absolute garbage at the moment about a detective who can see ghosts, but it's great fun and it keeps me quiet lol. Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

Jo said...

I'm a big reader but sadly, my children aren't. I tried to encourage them to read more when they were young, and though they're good readers, they just don't enjoy picking up a book as I do. I blame the technical age, they have all the electronic devices to pick up indoors these days whereas we would reach for a book.

sheila 77 said...

What a great post, Jan. I didn't know it was Book Lover's Day but I am certainly going to spend some time this afternoon reading and celebrating this fact, a good excuse to spend some time reading.
I have been reading and re-reading older detective fiction. It is quite amazing how well they stand up. I recently read "The Sittaford Mystery" by Agatha Christie which was written in 1931, it is a different world but also the same world. I read modern detective novels too and any other genre that looks interesting or is recommended by my book-loving friends, or a book that catches my fancy in the local bookshop.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love reading and books. I am currently reading a Charles Lenox mystery.

Have a great new week!

CJ Kennedy said...

I didn't know about this holiday. Fun!

Teresa said...

Hoy seria un día para mí, me encantan los libros aunque últimamente estoy leyendo poco. Besos.

pam nash said...

I love reading and always have. My current book? Crooked River by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

DVArtist said...

Great post.

R's Rue said...

I love a good book. I need to find one.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Finished reading a book yesterday. Another to read today!

sandy said...

I need to come here to realize in my country it's book lovers day. wow. i didn't know that.

happyone said...

I do have a Kindle but still love reading and holding a real book.
I've been a book reader starting from first grade when Mrs Claxton taught me how to read!!!
Right now I'm reading Southampton Row by Anne Perry.

Jeanie said...

What a good post with lots of great info! I am currently reading "The Chalk Pit" by Elly Griffiths!

My name is Erika. said...

I love a good book. Right now I am on a mystery kick. I didn't know today was a special day in the book world. Thanks for sharing.

Carla from The River said...

I love BOOKS and so do our boys. I am so happy to have passed down the pleasure and importance of reading to our boys.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love reading. How interesting that it increases empathy. I never thought of it before but it does since I remember characters and how I felt reading the story. Currently I am reading The Crime of Father Amaro by Eca de Queiros. It is quite a satire that was very controversial when first published in the 1875.

Conniecrafter said...

I don't know what it is but since I have gotten older I have not read as many books, guess to many other interest take my time now

Ananka said...

I don't read a lot. I probably should get into it!

Debbie said...

pretty look, these old books!! i don't read books but enjoy reading through magazines and blogs!!