Total Pageviews

Thursday 26 August 2021

Raspberries and their health benefits


 Nicola Shubrook is a nutritional therapist, she writes
"What are raspberries?
Raspberries are a berry fruit related to the blackberry and rose. They are grown in the UK over the summer and autumn months, and are actually little bunches of reddish-pink druplets that are tightly packed together. They have a sharp, sweet taste.

Nutritional benefits of raspberries
An 80g serving of raspberries provides:
20 kcals / 87 kJ
1g protein
2g fat
7g carbohydrates
7g fibre
136mg potassium
26mcg folate
26mg vitamin C

What are the top five health benefits of raspberries?
1. May improve blood sugar management
With a low glycaemic index (GI) and high fibre content, raspberries are a useful dietary inclusion if you need to monitor your blood sugar levels. Animal studies suggest that when raspberries are fed alongside a high-fat diet, they help lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin response. This may be because raspberries are rich in tannins, plant compounds that inhibit the enzymes that break down starches.

2. May have cancer protective properties
Raspberries are rich in protective antioxidants that may protect against cancer. Animal studies suggest this may be helpful for colon, breast and liver cancer. However, human studies are needed to confirm these findings.

3. May alleviate arthritis
Loaded with anti-inflammatory compounds such as anthocyanins, animal studies appear to show that raspberries reduce the symptoms of arthritis. These studies also show a lower risk of developing arthritis as well as less damage to the joints in those that developed the condition. More research and human trials are needed to confirm these effects.

4. May reduce signs of ageing
Being rich in protective plant compounds called polyphenols, raspberries may help reduce the signs of ageing and improve balance and strength. The berries are also rich in vitamin C, which is important for collagen production and may protect the skin from UV damage. Much of these findings are the result of animal models, so more human trials are needed.

5. May protect against metabolic syndrome
A 2017 study found that mice with metabolic syndrome (a medical term for a combination of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity) that were fed a single serving of raspberries each day saw improvements in weight and insulin sensitivity. A body of research supports these findings, but more studies are required to confirm the relevance of these results to humans.

Are raspberries safe for everyone to eat?
Raspberries, along with fruits such as apples, peaches, avocados and blueberries, contain natural chemicals called salicylates. Some people are sensitive to these compounds and may experience an allergic reaction, such as skin rash or swelling.

If you are concerned about food allergies, please consult your GP or registered dietician for guidance."
Above words with relevant links can be seen here

Related Post
Why Berries Are Among the Healthiest Foods on Earth - read it here

Two Raspberry Recipe Suggestions

Pavlova with Fresh Berries
a sugar-free low-carb version of 'pavlova' - more details here


Raspberry Cream Cheese Mug Cupcake
it's low carb and delicious - more details here


As regular readers know, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes!

However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Ananka said...

They are so tasty and good to know they are so good for you too! So many wild raspberries growing up here in Scotland!

Tom said...

...I love them!

happyone said...

Love raspberries and a bonus that they are good for you too.

William Kendall said...

I've always liked them.

CJ Kennedy said...

I love raspberries

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this great information.

J.P. Alexander said...

A mi me gustan las frambuesas y las fresas. Gracias por la receta y la información. Te mando un beso

babYpose said...

Good sharing. Its not easy to find raspberry here, they are grown in highland here though.

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing! Valerie

Kay said...

This sounds wonderful! We had raspberry bushes in our backyard in Illinois and loved to pick them to add to our oatmeal. That was such a long time ago.

Elephant's Child said...

And they are dee-licious. My favourite berries.

linda said...

I love raspberries but didn't realise just how good they are for you. Have a great weekend. 🙂

Jo said...

Raspberries wouldn't be my preferred fruit but that pavlova does look tempting.

eileeninmd said...

I like raspberries, a nice healthy treat!
Take care, have a happy weekend!

Margaret D said...

Love Raspberries.

Jeanie said...

All that and delicious too! I adore Pavlova. I can't imagine not eating raspberries!

R's Rue said...

Yum. I want some raspberries now.

My name is Erika. said...

And raspberries are sooooo delicious too.

Pam said...

Growing up we basically had apples, and bananas in the house. Oh and strawberries, however, I am not a fan of those unless they are dipped in choc...haha. It has not been that long ago that I realized I liked blackberries. But two of my faves are raspberries and blueberries. I make up water to keep in the fridge of lemon, spearmint and so they don't get mushy I will add blueberries when I fix a glass to drink. Take care.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Love raspberries.
People I know with diverticulitis, are afraid of them. They will only eat jellied raspberries because of the tiny seeds for some reason cause more flares ups.

Jean said...

My dad used to have raspberries against the backyard fence, loved eating them right off the vine. My parents also used to make raspberry jelly that probably had so much sugar any health benefits were negated but it was sure good. Reading this made me think of those happy times. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sondra said...

That looks delicious, I haven't had raspberries in a long time this makes me want to look for some. Have a great weekend.

Sue said...

Oh I do like berries, the blackberry bushes around us are starting to ripen nicely now. Take care and have a great weekend Jan & Eddie x

Hootin Anni said...

Raspberries are one of my favorites. And reading that they MAY help with UV damage (wrinkles?) gives me more reason to consume them often!!

Thanks for the info.

Flighty said...

They're my favourite soft fruit, so I grow them on the plot where it's been a good year for them with lots of big tasty berries. xx

Divers and Sundry said...

They've been hard to come by here lately, but at my last grocery trip I picked up 2 packages of them frozen. Tasty!

Conniecrafter said...

I do prefer strawberries but I do remember my parents home when I was growing up and we had a big batch of them growing out back

Snowbird said...

Wow! After reading that I'll certainly be eating more raspberries.xxx

Teresa said...

La mermelada de frambuesa me queda riquísima. Besos.

Magic Love Crow said...

Great post Jan! Great facts! Thank you! Big Hugs!