Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 August 2021

Tasty Tuesday : Lemon Garlic Pork Steaks with Mushrooms

Looking for a tasty Tuesday dinner, then why not try these Lemon Garlic Pork Steaks with Mushrooms, it's a lovely low carb and gluten free meal.


Ingredients
Serves Four
4 large, bone-in pork steaks (about 2 lbs)
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 1/2 tsp sea salt, more to taste
3 tbsp. butter (or ghee)
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
6 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon, thinly sliced
Recipe Instructions
can be seen here
Nutrition Details Per Serving
Fat 28g Protein 50g Total Carbs 6g Fibre 1g (Net Carbs 5g)

If you need help with weight/measurement conversion see here


We love mushrooms in our house, I wonder have you tried cremini mushrooms? They can usually be found in your local store / supermarket near to the more familiar little white button mushrooms. Read on for some more cremini, and other types, mushroom facts.

Did you know that most of the table mushrooms we eat are all of the same variety? Its name is Agaricus bisporus, according to Wikipedia, and it includes Portobello, cremini, and white button mushrooms.

• The difference between these popular varieties of mushrooms is just age. The white button mushrooms, those very familiar kitchen staples, are simply the youngest variety. They have been cultivated, too, for that white colour and soft texture. In the wild these mushrooms are usually browner.

• The Portobello is the most mature mushroom here; it's really just an overgrown white mushroom! They are left to grow for longer, until they have spread out into that delicious meaty cap.

• The cremini mushroom, then, is just in between these two varieties. It's a moderately mature version of the white button mushroom, which is why it has a similar flavour. It's younger than the Portobello, but still related, which is why these are sometimes sold as "baby Bella" or "baby Portobello" mushrooms.

But what about Chestnut Mushrooms? I hear you ask... these are the same mushroom as White Button Mushrooms, but it is a strain that grows just a bit browner instead of white, giving it a tan-coloured top. They are very much like Cremini Mushrooms and about the same size.
They have better flavour and texture than the plain white mushrooms.

Chestnut Mushrooms are also allowed to grow into larger sizes to be sold as “Portobellos.” Sometimes Portobellos are also called “Flat Chestnut Mushrooms” for this reason.

I hope you may enjoy this recipe suggestion soon …

Another recipe suggestion you may like to try
Somerset Stew, it's a vegetarian recipe but can be easily adapted for those who like meat! Find it here

Many thanks for reading …


Dear readers, you will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

35 comments:

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

We love mushrooms, too, Jan! Thank you for the nice recipe and the information.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta nunca he comido el cerdo así. Te mando un beso

Angie's Recipes said...

The pork chop looks really juicy and tender!

Christine said...

Looks delicious!

Granny Marigold said...

Interesting facts about mushrooms. I had never tasted a mushroom until I was well into my twenties. We never had them at home. The first ones I ate were from a can and I was not impressed. Now we enjoy fried mushrooms often.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love mushrooms, but not pork. I had no idea the size of the mushroom was what determined what name it was given.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I should show my husband this recipe. We just bought some chops.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Iris Flavia said...

Love mushrooms, hate garlic, though. Vampires are welcome ;-)
Lemon sounds good, too, I need to cook today, so... let´s see, thank you again!

Jo said...

I love mushrooms and this looks a very tasty recipe.

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds yummy! Valerie

Margaret D said...

A favourite, mushrooms

Anita said...

Ww this really made me hungry!looks very tasty and good:)))

Victor S E Moubarak said...

We love pork ... and mushrooms. So this is a recipe we will try.

God bless.

Hootin Anni said...

The pork looks delicious...but, I especially liked reading the differences/similarities of mushrooms. (I like mushrooms!)

Jenn Jilks said...

Nice one!

kathyinozarks said...

Looks delicious-thanks

Giorgio said...

Great recipi! I can't find cremini mushrooms ... I will use white mushrooms instead of them.

Regards,

Giorgio

Jeanie said...

In our stores we usually only see white mushrooms or portabella (or baby bellas). This looks great -- we love pork.

Tom said...

...looks good.

R's Rue said...

I have some porkchops. I’m going to do this. Thank you.

Caty said...

What an interesting recipe Jan. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
The truth is that we really like mushrooms, and I usually prepare them in an omelette, or in the pan with olive oil, a pinch of salt, garlic and parsley.
I hope you are all well, happy Wednesday and big hugs,
Caty

DeniseinVA said...

Yum! I always enjoy your recipes Jan, thank you :)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I've learnt something new about mushrooms.

Sue said...

Ooh this looks delicious, I could definitely eat this right now! Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

Barwitzki said...

My mouth is watering ... it looks delicious :-) I think I didn't eat enough today ... although I baked (without white flour) a delicious cake and a natural sourdough wholemeal rye bread - my husband's favorite bread: - )) Tomorrow is market day with us, just like on Friday ... my two high days for lunch. I am happy. Good evening to you Viola
p.s. thanks for the recipe Jan, I like brown champins.

Ananka said...

Looks great and could sub the pork!

happyone said...

Another delicious looking supper.

Carola Bartz said...

That looks delicious - I'm saving the recipe. When we eat mushrooms we usually eat cremini which I buy at the farmers market. We don't eat meat very often, so this will be a special treat. Thank you!

My name is Erika. said...

This looks amazing. I am hungry already, waiting for dinner to be finished. Hope your week is going well!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's been ages since I had a bone-in pork chop. I need to update my grocery list :)

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde. Essa receita deve ser muito deliciosa. Deu muita vontade de comer.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this looks so good.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh that sounds delicious!!

Teresa said...

Se ve muy bueno. Besos.

Magic Love Crow said...

My mouth is watering! LOL! I never knew the most difference about mushrooms, is their age? Cool! Big Hugs!