Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 August 2021

The military secret to falling asleep in two minutes - can it help you?


There have been many articles written about sleep and trouble sleeping and I am sure that there are times when each of us do experience this. So what do you do? Perhaps count sheep, or read a book until you begin to feel sleepy... my dear mum always used to have a milky drink before bedtime! But how about this one!

The military secret to falling asleep in two minutes.

[This article was originally published in March 2018]

There are few things more frustrating than spending a night tossing and turning, desperately trying to doze off to sleep.

But if you’re used to lying in bed awake at night, brain whirring at a million miles an hour and unable to get the sweet, sweet slumber you crave, then good news.

There's a brilliant military technique that is said to help anyone fall asleep in just two minutes - and it might just change your life.

The trick is reportedly used by the US army to help them fall asleep in situations that are less than peaceful, such as on battlefields.

Detailed in the book 'Relax and Win: Championship Performance, 1981', the technique is thought to have been developed by army chiefs to ensure soldiers didn’t make life-threatening mistakes due to exhaustion.

Here’s how to do it:
1. Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
2. Drop your shoulders as far down as they’ll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
3. Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down
4. You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:
 i) You’re lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
 ii) You’re lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
 iii) You say “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.

The technique is said to work for 96 per cent of people after six weeks of practice.

The NHS currently recommends the average person needs around eight hours of good-quality sleep every night to function properly.

It warns a lack of sleep can make people more prone to a number of medical conditions, including obesity, high blood pressure and heart disease.

With one in three people in the UK suffering from poor sleep, the army trick could provide some sweet relief.

If that doesn’t work, sleep expert Dr Neil Stanley says the most important factor when it comes to falling asleep is quieting your mind.

“In order to get to sleep you need three things:
a bedroom conducive to sleep’, a relaxed body and most importantly a quiet mind. You can’t go to sleep if your mind is racing and so anything you can do to slow it down will help you sleep,” 

“There is no magic way of doing this, you have to find what works for you, be that reading, a warm bath, camomile tea, mindfulness, aromatherapy or listening to Pink Floyd. It doesn’t matter what you do as long as it stops you worrying about the stresses of the day.”
Words above from article here


Related Posts
Simple Steps To A Better Night's Sleeps, five suggestions - see here
Are you struggling to sleep? These two things to eat or drink before bed-time may help! - see here
If Sometimes Sleep is Elusive - Getting Quality Rest Helps - see here
Ten Reasons You're Always Tired (and what you can do about it) - see here

Have you any tips for a better nights sleep?
Do please share them in the comments.

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Christine said...

Thinking of lying on a canoe might work for me!

happyone said...

I do that relaxing thing but start with my toes. I had my second child when we lived in Scotland and my doctor taught me self hypnoses which started with relaxing like that. I had a pretty much painless labor using it.

Tom said...

...some nights I fall asleep easily and others I don't.

Angie's Recipes said...

I usually have no problem to fall asleep...as soon as my head touches the pillow, I am gone :-) Thanks for sharing the method, I might need it some day!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso

Lori Miller said...

When I was in basic training, I was too wound up to fall asleep quickly. But I dozed off sometimes during the day!

Elephant's Child said...

I go to sleep quite easily. I don't stay there though.

Practical Parsimony said...

When I was a child, Mama would give us bread and milk when we said we were hungry just before bedtime. So, I think it helps me now. I could be wrong and don't eat this very often, maybe twice a month.

I relax from the toes up.

I say, "white, white, white" to erase everything from my mind and see just white.

Lately, I just keep my feet warmer and it helps to relax.

Iris Flavia said...

I´ll try this, thank you. So far I just tell myself that at least I can rest. I lie awake often. Since I can remember.

Valerie-Jael said...

Good advice, thanks! Valerie

baili said...

such a great posting dear Jan as always :)

the statistics you shared about the patients of insomnia are scary indeed

i felt lot better after yoga thankfully and yes the trick is mindfulness at the end
thank you for being help for so many here :)
blessings!

Margaret D said...

Interesting, fortunately as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm asleep for the morning light - guess I'm extremely lucky.

Jenn Jilks said...

Insomnia is a terrible problem for many. I used to use meditation tapes.

Jo said...

I don't often have trouble getting to sleep, it's the staying asleep which is sometimes a problem.

CJ Kennedy said...

I could have used this info the other night.

Ela said...

Great post and interesting information!
Happy Sunday !

Sussi said...

thank you for the tip! I have often difficulties to fall asleep.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The last time I had 8 hours sleep was probably high school. Now I sleep in about two to three hour cycles. I used to sleep no more than 5 hours each night. Now I wish I could sleep that long. I like this idea and would love to try it for six weeks to see if it works.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

It's so troubling when we aren't able to sleep. Thank you for these interesting suggestions, Jan. Have a great week!

Fun60 said...

I am not a great sleeper so am willing to give this a try. Lately I have been falling asleep listening to the radio. I can't work out how to turn it off whilst I'm asleep so it is still on when I wake in the morning.

NatureFootstep said...

might work. I have two rules. I do nothing but sleep in my bed. I always cool down before entering my bed. :)

Ananka said...

I will need to try this! I don't sleep too well between the coffee, toddler and a million other things!

William Kendall said...

I rarely have issues drifting off to sleep.

Hilly Nicolay said...

We have a new bed and it was needed.
The bottom of the bed is perfect.
The beautiful colorful duvet covers make sleeping a pleasure :)

Have a nice week and greetings to you,
Hilly

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Muito interessante.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Divers and Sundry said...

It certainly can't hurt, right?! I'll give it the 6-week try :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Sandra Cox said...

Very helpful!

Jeanie said...

This is great. I don't usually have a problem but Rick does when he wakes up in the night and can't get back to sleep. I'll be sure to share this with him.

Teresa said...

Muy bueno, cuando no pueda dormir lo intentaré. Besos.

Debbie said...

i take a sleeping pill each night and i can never fall asleep. once i am asleep, i stay asleep. i printed out this method on falling asleep and i am going to try it!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you! I am sharing this with my mom! Big Hugs!