Total Pageviews

Monday 16 August 2021

Children and adults on a vegan diet may need supplements

image from google

Sharing an article seen on The Diabetes Diet Blog here

"Children and adults on a vegan diet may need supplements

Adapted from BMJ 12 June 2021

Children on vegan diets were shorter than omnivores by an average of 3 cm, had 4-6% lower bone mineral content, and were more than 3 times more likely to be deficient in vitamin B12, found a study published in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Vegetarian children showed a lower risk of nutritional deficiencies than the omnivores but had a less healthy cardiovascular profile.

The authors advised that children on plant based diets may need to take supplements of Vitamin B12 and vitamin D.

Adapted from Tong TYN et al. BMC Med 23 Nov 2020

The EPIC-Oxford study was undertaken between 1993 and 2001. There were over 29 thousand meat eaters, over 8 thousand fish eaters, 15.5 thousand vegetarians and almost 2 thousand vegans. After almost 18 years the number of fractures they sustained was measured.

Compared to meat eaters vegans had a higher risk of hip, leg and vertebral fractures. Vegetarians and fish eaters also had a higher risk of fractures than meat eaters. There were no differences seen in risks for arm, wrist and ankle fractures between the diet groups."


Related Posts
Is a Vegan Diet Healthy? - see here
Nutrition Wars - Putting Science First! - see here
Nutrients You May Be Missing On A Plant-Based Diet (And What To Do About It) - see here

Dear reader, a variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas are within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I wonder about this. Look at our teeth.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, I remember reading about that.

God bless.

Kay said...

We eat a lot of veggies, but I couldn't convince my granddaughter to do so also. We'd have a hard time giving up meat entirely.

J.P. Alexander said...

Eso ya lo sabia , genial entrada. Te mando un beso

Tom said...

...vegan isn't my thing.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. We all need a balanced diet don't we?

Margaret D said...

Knew of that - sometimes these supplements are full of some rubbish so I've read and been told.

Jo said...

I love my veggies but I love meat too.

Valerie-Jael said...

I'm not a friend of only vegan, and still think a healthy, balanced diet is the best thing! Valerie

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

À que compensar com suplementos.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing this helpful information. Have a beautiful day.

Caroline said...

Happy week. Greetings Caroline

Inger said...

I believe a balanced diet is the best even though I may slip up every now and then and eat more cheese and crackers than is good for me.

happyone said...

I don't eat a lot of meat but I do like it and wouldn't want to give it up. I think a balanced diet and moderation is the way to go.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

En mi cículo de amistades y en mi familia no hay nadie que siga esa alimentación.

Comemos vegetales y frutas y además carnes y pescado.

Buenas tardes

Sandra Cox said...

Wow. Who'd a thought?

Ananka said...

Good to know the studies. I am a veggie and lactose intolerant, so missing out on a lot right there. Veggie by choice though. I take various top-ups as I don't absorb well :-| When I was a meat eater I suffered from anaemia and was always low in B12 so many times! And in Scotland most of us have issues with vit D due to the lack of sun!

Christine said...

Very true.

William Kendall said...

I can't see the appeal of a vegan life style.

DVArtist said...

Very good article.

Linda said...

Yep.

Snowbird said...

Yes, supplements are a must for veggie and vegan diets.xxx

Teresa said...

Buena tarde.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

A very important topic. I am aware of the study and wondered if there are any controls other than "vegan" eating which is so different to everyone. Some vegans live on pasta and processed food substitutes for meat and others use whole food plant based diets based on beans, rice, vegetables and potatoes. I would be interested in knowing the actual "vegan" diet of those studied.

Magic Love Crow said...

I can understand this! Big Hugs!