Total Pageviews

Monday 30 August 2021

'The more time you spend outdoors in natural light, the happier you’ll be'

There's a lot to be said about walking, or being outside, it can be so uplifting, and a recent study has shown that increased daytime light exposure is beneficial for both mood and sleep disorders.

The Beaulieu River at Longwater Lawn,
 always plenty of New Forest Ponies to see

"Time spent in outdoor light is associated with mood, sleep, and circadian rhythm-related outcomes: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study in over 400,000 UK Biobank participants

Highlights

Greater time in outdoor light was associated with lowered odds of lifetime major depressive disorder

More daylight predicted better outcomes across a range of mood and sleep measures

These relationships held in both cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses

Abstract

Background
Light has powerful effects on mood, sleep, and the circadian system. Humans evolved in an environment with a clear distinction between day and night, but our modern environments have blurred this distinction. Negative effects of light exposure at night have been well characterized. The importance of daytime light exposure has been less well characterized. Here we examine the cross-sectional and longitudinal associations of time spent in daytime outdoor light with mood-, sleep-, and circadian-related outcomes.

Methods
Participants were drawn from the UK Biobank cohort, a large study of UK adults (n = 502,000; 37-73 years old; 54% women).

Results
UK Biobank participants reported spending a median of 2.5 daylight hours (IQR = 1.5 – 3.5 hours) outdoors per day. Each additional hour spent outdoors during the day was associated with lower odds of lifetime major depressive disorder (95% CI OR:0.92-0.98), antidepressant usage (OR:0.92-0.98), less frequent anhedonia (OR:0.93-0.96) and low mood (OR:0.87-0.90), greater happiness (OR:1.41-1.48) and lower neuroticism (incident rate ratio, IRR:0.95-0.96). In addition, each hour of daytime light was associated with greater ease of getting up (OR:1.46-1.49), less frequent tiredness (OR:0.80-0.82), fewer insomnia symptoms (OR:0.94-0.97), and earlier chronotype (adjusted odds ratio; OR:0.75-0.77). Auto-Regressive Cross-Lagged (ARCL) models were used to examine the longitudinal association of time spent in outdoor light at baseline with later mood-, sleep- and circadian-related outcomes reported at time point 2. Overall, longitudinal associations support cross-sectional findings, though generally with smaller effect sizes.

Limitations
Future studies that examine the intensity of daytime light exposure at the ocular level are needed.

Conclusions
Our findings suggest that daytime light exposure is a relevant environmental risk factor for mood-, sleep-, and circadian-related outcomes. These findings support the increased daytime light exposure as beneficial for both mood and sleep disorders."
The above from here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

You will find a variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

39 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Agreed! It works for me.

RO said...

This is interesting info! Hugs, RO

Elephant's Child said...

True.
It was foggy this morning and is still overcast. Just the same I am going outside shortly and fully expect to feel better for it.

J.P. Alexander said...

Siempre es bueno convivir con la naturaleza te hará mas sano y feliz. Te mando un beso

Tom said...

...I do and I'm happy!

Practical Parsimony said...

Everyday, we get into the car and go somewhere, usually the park, to soak up the sun, different sights, and enjoy green. We do this for mental health, very aware of the benefits. His house, unlike mine, is not conducive to seeing trees, sun and, birds. My house had tall open windows and a picture window where I could see the whole outdoors. His has closed windows and curtains, very small windows.

Christine said...

This makes perfect sense.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I love the great outdoor and my olive skin tone shows it.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Erick Adams Foster said...

Hi!

Nice post :D

I liked your blog that I'm already following. Have a good week.

http://laspaginasdeerick.blogspot.com

Margaret D said...

Interesting Jan.

Elderberry-Rob said...

This was interesting, for a year I had to work in a call centre with no natural light/windows (basement) while another floor was refurbished, although nobody was keeping statistics, in that year there was a higher rate of sick leave amongst staff and everyone was noticeably disgruntled and unhappy on a daily basis and a more frequent turnover of staff - it's easy to see why.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really wish I could stay outside more. Unfortunately, when the temps are 105+ F (~40 C) outside, it's not safe to be out for any length of time. Just watering my herbs early in the morning is about all I can handle. Then it's back inside where the AC keeps me going (and happy). Spring and autumn will find me outside far more, but right now, it's actually dangerous to be out too long.

Fun60 said...

Couldn't agree more with the title of your post.

Phil Slade said...

Spending time outdoors is something we should all know and practice. I think I worry for the current generation who spend far too much time indoors on those damned machines. When we take our grandkids to the lovely local park, it is quite worrying how few other children are there when there should be dozens.

Valerie-Jael said...

I always love being outside! So much to see and enjoy! Have a great week, Valerie

mamasmercantile said...

Very interesting study, although no real surprises.

CJ Kennedy said...

You always find very interesting articles. Thank you.

R's Rue said...

So very true. I try to get outdoors as much as I can these days.

Creations By Cindy said...

Thank you for the information. I have always heard that the happiest of people of those that get adequate time in the great outdoors. I always enjoy reading your wealth of information. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

David M. Gascoigne, said...

As a person who spends a lot of time outdoors I would vouch for the benefits of so doing.

Ananka said...

I love being outside. And doing walking. Seeing the wildlife and insects and being at one with nature! I am all for it :-D

Conniecrafter said...

I so believe this, since we have had heat index in the 100's here lately I have not been getting outdoors much and I can feel it in my mood

Jenn Jilks said...

It is so true!

Lorrie said...

I can vouch for this information! I always feel better after being outside in the garden, or for a walk. Nature is wonderful!

Caroline said...

Beautiful photo Jan, I like spending time outdoors.

DVArtist said...

Really wonderful post and very true.

happyone said...

It's sure true for me. I feel great after my walk and a day working outside.

William Kendall said...

Good information to have.

Kay said...

Hmmm… I tend to walk in the early morning to avoid the harsh UVs of the Hawaiian sun. However, perhaps I need to rethink this.

baili said...

it is my walk time though i am bit late for it :)

due to new net connection problem i had less time for visiting blog friends this week so ..

i live where sun is always there and much bright , with age i feel how important it is to live in sunny areas .it uplifts mood and make feel very close to Nature :)

lovely posting

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I always feel better after spending time outdoors.

Carla from The River said...

I agree, outside is the best time for me. My daily walk, working in the garden or just sitting outside.. I love my outside time. :-)

Jeanie said...

It makes sense to me. I always feel better in "real" light!

Divers and Sundry said...

A good reminder, thanks!

Sue said...

It does make sense doesn't it, it's just so much nicer to be outdoors! Have a great week, Sue xx

Magic Love Crow said...

I agree with this! Thank you! Big Hugs!

Debbie said...

i am so sure that this is true. 4 weeks in the hospital, no sunlight, no fresh air, it definitely made a huge difference in my disposition!! even since i have been home i have not spent much time outdoors, it has just been way too hot, even in the evening!!

i hope to return soon to my normal routine and enjoy the outdoors more!!

Teresa said...

Por aquí estoy casi todo el día al aíre libre. Besos.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

We are in Florida along with many other retirees and it seems that people are happier and live longer . I feel as though the longer day time hours and more time outside does make a difference. Thanks for an interesting read.