Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 August 2021

Take Five Household Tips !


Do you like cleaning and dusting around the home? I must admit I don't mind dusting, Eddie is wonderful at vacuuming and strange as it may seem to some, I find ironing quite therapeutic!

However, there are times when we could all use some clever cleaning tricks!

Get rid of stains on clothes cheaply with washing up liquid
It's so frustrating to stain clothes with food or drink - and why is it that it always seems to be our favourite outfit? Fear not - all is not lost. Rub washing up liquid directly into the stain and then rinse with water – it works on most fabrics including delicate wool or silk, as long as you do it immediately.

Remove carpet stains with washing up liquid
If you’ve just spilled a glass of wine – or anything staining – on to your carpet, spring into action by dissolving one tablespoon of washing up liquid into two cups of warm water, and blotting the stain until it disappears. Then sponge the carpet with cold water and blot dry.

Remove coffee stains with toothpaste
Grubby mug? Just like coffee staining on teeth, the answer to your problem is in the bathroom cabinet. Get rid of tea or coffee stains from your favourite cup by rubbing with toothpaste. Then give it a good rinse to make sure your next beverage doesn't taste minty.

Sharpen your scissors with tin foil
Scissors get blunt so easily, especially if you use them to cut paper or wrap presents. But you don't need to replace them. Just use your scissors to cut up a piece of aluminium foil to sharpen them in an instant.

Remove sticker stains with vinegar
If your children (or grandchildren) have been liberal with their sticker book and applied them to walls, doors, furniture or basically anywhere you don't want them, you'll know that peeling them off can leaving a sticky mark. To tackle this, dab them repeatedly with vinegar and leave it to soak for 15 minutes. Then come back with a sponge and scrub the mark off.
The above tips from here

Have you any tips? Do please share them in the comments.
One very important tip, is to reward yourself with a nice cuppa after all of your hard work, and perhaps a Low Carb Chocolate Cookie / Biscuit, see more details here


Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes!

Please note, not all recipe suggestions may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

41 comments:

DUTA said...

I like the idea of tin foil as sharpener.
Vinegar is my solution to a lot of issues. I buy the synthetic white vinegar which is a wonderful cleaning agent. And it's cheap.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Siempre son útiles para limpiar te mando un beso

Susan Kane said...

Having a terrible time convincing MY husband that carbs are bad, sugar is bad...

I appreciate your recipes.

Tom said...

...good to know.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Good tips you have shared. Thank you. Vinegar is my go to cleaner for windows. Just mix some white vinegar and water and spray the window. Wipe down with a newspaper and you are done.

Christine said...

I dislike dusting thanks for these tips.

Angie's Recipes said...

Gotta try to sharpen my scissors with foil later! Great tips!

Elephant's Child said...

Great hints.
I must confess I loathe ironing. A relative by marriage said that it was quiet and clean - which I can understand but...

Jules said...

I'm taking some of my own advice this week, by getting outside. I can't see what needs cleaning from there :)
Those cookies sound delicious. X

Margaret D said...

Good tips. If any of us spill a small amount of food on our clothes we use a wet one (baby wipes) immediately to remove the stain, even beetroot stains, always works for us

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've tried using tin foil to sharpen scissors and it doesn't work for my scissors. Either they are too dull, or they are sprung, this tip may work for some people, but I have six different scissors from small to very large that it hasn't worked on.

When my punches quit punching, I run a sheet of sandpaper in the punch and it works brilliantly. The grittier the better.

Valerie-Jael said...

Some good tips there, thanks for sharing! Valerie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

The scissors tip is good to know. I was not aware of that. Thanx.

God bless.

Jo said...

Some good tips, I'll have to give them a go.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
These are great tips. I am going to try the scissor sharpening tip.
Take care, have a great day!

CJ Kennedy said...

To remove stains from coffee cups, I go an easier route. I used cleaning tablets. Fill the mug with hot water, plop in a tablet, and let the tablet do it's magic. No scrubbing. Wash and rinse.

A drop or two of lemon essential oil will remove labels. A much more pleasant scent than vinegar.

Laura. M said...

Odio quitar el polvo amigos y si me gusta planchar.
Os deseo un buen miércoles.
Un abrazo.

Ygraine said...

Oh WOW, these tips are really, really useful! Thank you so much for sharing.😊😊

Have a super day.

Hugs xxx

Barwitzki said...

Hey Jan, today I made yesterday's recipe ... lemon steak with mushrooms. Thank you, it was just delicious ... I had all the ingredients fresh from the market ... can you imagine how happy I was :-))
Many greetings to you.

Ananka said...

It isn't my favourite thing to do! Vinegar is amazing for cleaning a lot eh. Haha I use tin foil to remove my glittery polishes. Use it to wrap the cotton wool around the nail and hold in place. It rarely gets used for cooking ;-)

This isn't a cleaning tip as such. Coffee grounds and cinnamon are great for deterring ants. Used them 2 year running now and no ants. I got the odd straggler in but not the army. And after a short time none!

Jeanie said...

There are some good ones here I didn't know. If you have access to the Mr. Clean sponges that are popular in the US, that takes off just about anything -- especially grubby mugs, hard water stains that are relatively recent (not necessarily brand new) stuff off walls and even watercolor boo boos!

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, good tips. Washing up liquid. Is that hand soap?
Take special care.

R's Rue said...

I learned some new tips and tricks. Thank you for sharing. Have a beautiful day.

Carla from The River said...

WOW... sharpen your scissors with foil.. I did not know that.

My name is Erika. said...

Pine pitch and some other sticky materials comes off great with hand sanitizer.

happyone said...

Dusting is my least favorite household chore. :)
I'll have to try the sharpen scissors with the tin foil tip.

Jenn Jilks said...

I loathe housework. I do feel better after i do it, though. Hubby always seems to be napping when I want to use the vac!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Yes to toothpaste and degreaser dish liquid to get out oil stains.

DVArtist said...

Ohh great ideas. I love the tin foil and sharpening scissors.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thank you for sharing such great tips, Jan! I need to use some foil on my scissors.

Sami said...

I hate ironing and usually only do it when the basket is full!
Great tips Jan. I usually use washing up liquid for stains and I found it works. I have some blunt scissors and will be using the tinfoil to sharpen them, great idea!

Jean said...

Great idea about the foil! Timely post for me as I've set aside today to do lots of cleaning and other tasks I've been putting off too long. Reminded me I need to spray the stain on the shirt I wore yesterday before throwing it in the laundry. Thanks.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello everyone, many thanks to you ALL for sharing your thoughts, comments and tips ...

Barwitzki said...
Hey Jan, today I made yesterday's recipe ... lemon steak with mushrooms. Thank you, it was just delicious.

Hello Barwitzki, I am so pleased you enjoyed yesterdays recipe, many thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.


Sandra Cox asks "Washing up liquid. Is that hand soap?"

Hello Sandra, Dishwashing liquid (or washing-up liquid in British English), also known as dishwashing soap, dish detergent, and dish soap is a detergent used to assist in dishwashing, read more here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwashing_liquid

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share your comments.

All the best Jan

Conniecrafter said...

the older I get the more I don't care for doing housework, maybe all the years I have had to do it I don't know. I still like yard work though when the temperature isn't so HOT, even weeding doesn't bother me, my back says other wise after but I enjoy working in the garden

Lori Miller said...

Toothpaste worked for removing coffee stains from my cup! Thanks for the tip!

Teresa said...

Muy buenos consejos. Besos.

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent! I love about sharping scissors! Big Hugs!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm always interested in how to remove stains. I am not sure what washing up liquid its? Is it liquid soap?

Lowcarb team member said...

judee said...
I'm always interested in how to remove stains. I am not sure what washing up liquid its? Is it liquid soap?

Hello Judee, many thanks for your comment and question.
Dishwashing liquid (or washing-up liquid in British English), is also known as dishwashing soap, dish detergent, and dish soap and is a detergent used to assist in dishwashing, read more here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwashing_liquid

All the best Jan

Rose said...

I have used milk to remove ink stains from a quilt...but that was before gel pens. I have used toothpaste to remove crayons for wall.

Lowcarb team member said...

Rose said...
I have used milk to remove ink stains from a quilt...but that was before gel pens. I have used toothpaste to remove crayons for wall.

Hello Rose,
Many thanks for your comment and tips.
If you should need information about removing stains made by gel pens, there are quite a few articles (and even videos) available on the internet about 'How to remove a gel pen stain'.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan