For The Filling
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
2 spring onions, finely chopped
250ml/8fl oz extra virgin olive oil
450g/1lb cherry tomatoes, halved
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
2. Season the aubergine slices well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and brush with oil.
3. Griddle / Grill for a couple of minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, or until golden-brown grill marks are formed. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
6. Roll up the aubergine slices, like a cigar, around the filling, then rest them seam-side down on a plate.
9. Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic and sugar. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.