Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 October 2015

Mushroom & Gruyere Smothered Chicken : A Saturday Supper Delight

Mushroom Gruyere Smothered Chicken

Now, for those of you who know me well ... at this time of year you know what I'll be watching on a Saturday Night! Yes, my sequinns are ready, the rose wine is chilling and all I have to do are the Saturday chores, and prepare this lovely supper idea.

Of course then I sit down and watch Strictly Come Dancing, thank you BBC1 ... after which Eddie kindly does the washing up!! Well, that's where my plans may just go astray ... LOL! 

But seriously, as Carolyn says ... and she is a fellow diabetic, "this recipe only requires you to smother chicken thighs in mushrooms and cheese. Could there be anything better? Well, maybe if you added some bacon, but I will leave that part up to you. with a green salad or some roasted broccoli, this makes the perfect low carb meal.

Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter, divided
5 to 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large sauté pan, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste.

Place skin-side down in hot pan and cook until nicely browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and place thighs in a single layer in a ceramic or glass baking pan.

Add remaining butter to pan and let melt, then add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté quickly to coat with butter. Sprinkle with a little additional salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are brown and tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.


Mushroom Gruyere Smothered Chicken

Spoon mushrooms over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling and chicken is cooked through. Turn on broiler/ grill for 2 to 30 minutes to lightly brown the cheese.

Serves: 4 – 6

Nutrition Info: For 4 servings:
Food energy: 618kcal, Total fat: 31.07g, Calories from fat: 279, Cholesterol: 335mg, Carbohydrate: 4.70g, Total dietary fiber: 2.26g, Protein: 69.47g"

Now isn't that the perfect Saturday night supper !

All the best Jan

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this recipe sounds delicious. I love chicken and mushrooms. Thanks for sharing. I've been away and just now catching up on my blog reading. Have a happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Looks a very tasty recipe idea :)

Martha said...

Mmmm...mmmm....this is delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us. I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Jo said...

Yum. I love chicken smothered in cheese but I have to do without the mushrooms as the rest of the family won't touch them. Enjoy Strictly, I'll be recording it to watch later.

Mrs Vimes said...

Thanks Jan. My partner is off next week. I've shown him this recipe and we are going to have this with courgette spaghetti. He's cooking it- result!

Launna said...

I like this recipe... it sounds delicious... I really like chicken :-) ... Enjoy your show and your weekend. We have a long weekend in Canada for Thanksgiving ♡

Anonymous said...

Jay McGuiness and Aliona were so good this evening.
I like your recipe too. Thanks.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you all for your comments, so lovely to receive them.

Eileen, hope you've had a good time away ... and if you should get a chance to try this recipe idea please enjoy it. Thanks for your comment.

Anon at 14.13 - hope you may enjoy this dish soon ...

Martha, thanks for your comment, glad you liked the look of this recipe ... the weekend is going well, thank you.

Jo - thanks for your comment, hope you've been able to watch Strictly!

Mrs Vimes - many thanks for your comment, and WOW that is a good result. Enjoy!

Launna, many thanks for your comment. I hope you are enjoying your longer weekend, and that you may try the recipe idea out soon!

Anon at 20.30. - yes, I thought they were good to.

Do hope readers everywhere have had a good Sunday, and best wishes for the new week ahead.

All the best Jan

Mrs Vimes said...

Follow up on the recipe. Partner cooked it and it was lovely. Had some left over - he made me keep some for my pack lunch but I ended up eating it for breakfast. It was blummin lovely again.
Definitely cooking it again.

Lowcarb team member said...

Mrs Vimes
Thank you so much for the follow up.
So,so pleased you enjoyed this recipe ... perhaps your partner will cook it again for you?

Enjoy the rest of your week - it's nearly Friday!

All the best Jan