Total Pageviews

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Walnuts - Did You Know !

Walnuts

Now seeing the above picture took me back to my childhood days and Christmas. We always had a bowl of nuts on the table with a nut-cracker that looked incredibly similar to this one!

But did you know ... "Walnuts are one of the most popular and versatile of all nuts. When picked young, they're known as wet and their milky white kernels are mainly used for pickling. Far more common is the dried nut, either shelled or un-shelled. The brown-skinned kernel has a ridged surface, which looks like two halves of the brain.

Slightly bitter in flavour, walnuts are good eaten raw or cooked, in either sweet or savoury dishes, and are particularly useful for baking.


Availability:
Shelled walnuts are available all year round. Un-shelled walnuts tend to be available in UK winter months, from December to February.


Choose the best:
If buying unshelled walnuts, look for those that are uncracked, with no holes. Shelled walnuts should be plump and crisp. Avoid any that look shivelled.

Prepare it:
Walnuts in their shells can be opened using a nut cracker. To avoid damaging the nut inside, squeeze the shell gently until it cracks, then extract the nut - there are lots of different nut crackers available, so find one that's easy for you to use.

Walnuts can be eaten raw, as they are, or toast to bring out more of their flavour: place the nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake on a medium heat for 10-12 minutes. They are ready when the kernels turn golden. You can achieve the same effect by dry frying them: put in a dry frying pan over a medium heat, and keep the pan moving to make sure they colour evenly and don't burn. Leave whole, halve or chop, as required.

Store it:
Unshelled walnuts should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place - they'll last for around three months. Shelled walnuts should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge - they'll last for up to six months.

Cook it:
Add to salads (particularly Waldorf salad, with apple, celery and raisins) or muesli; use for baking cakes, biscuits or pies. Eat as a snack."



Article from here 


...now, Waldorf Salad or Just Apple Sultana and Walnut One?


Waldorf Salad

please use this link for recipe idea ...
All the best Jan

14 comments:

Jo said...

We always had a bowl of nuts with nutcrackers at Christmas too. I could just about manage the hazelnuts but the brazil nuts were a devil to crack. I have to say though, walnuts have always been my very favourite.

Anna Down Under said...

Oh I have those memories too! The big bowl of nuts and the nutcracker ... haven't had that in many years. Might have to try it again.

Martha said...

When I was a kid, we always had walnuts in the house. My dad used to crack them and share them with me. And my mom used walnuts in recipes. Very lovely memories.

Debbie said...

that first image, also reminded me of christmas....we always had a bowl out. i really like walnuts, i use them in pesto instead of pine nuts because of the price. i also LOVE pasta with garlic, oil, toasted walnuts and parmesan cheese, it's just the BEST!!! nothing really hiding the flavor of the pasta!!!!

Gloria Baker said...

Love waltnuts and especially in salads :)

eileeninmd said...

I remember having a bowl of walnuts sitting out during the Christmas holiday! They are not one of my favorites but they do look delicious in the salad. Great post, thanks for sharing. Have a happy day!

Launna said...

I love walnuts... I usually eat them cracked right from the shell but they do taste delicious in foods... I need to try them in a salad xox

Lisa said...

Now that takes me back to being little. I can clearly remember my mum sitting down with the nutcracker and a bug bag of mixed nuts are Christmas time. I like my walnuts in a coffee cake!
Love the photos of autumn and the roast beef, that is definitely my favourite kind of roast.
Lisa x

The Happy Whisk said...

No lie. I just got back inside from collection black walnuts and dog poo.

Lowcarb team member said...

It's been so nice to receive and read ALL of your comments.

Interesting to note the happy memories of Christmas that walnuts can bring, but yes, they can be enjoyed in salads too... and do go lovely with coffee on cakes, have a look at this low carb coffee and walnut cake http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/coffee-and-walnut-sponge-cake-low-carb.html

... and Ivy, I believe you - I read it on your blog LOL!

So thanks again Jo, Anna, Martha, Debbie, Gloria, Eileen, Launna, Lisa and Ivy for taking time to comment.

All the best Jan

Carla from The River said...

I love walnuts. This was a very helpful post.
Thank you!
Carla

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks Carla - glad you found this post helpful.
There are so many varieties of nuts available, and walnuts are popular.

All the best Jan

chris c said...

"No lie. I just got back inside from collection black walnuts and dog poo."

I prefer them with a sprinkle of salt.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes Chris, I've read that some people do use salt with walnuts.
"Walnuts are high in antioxidants and once shelled, roasted and salted, can be used to garnish many dishes and soups.". More can be read here http://www.livestrong.com/article/460427-how-to-salt-roast-walnuts/

And this is good to read too http://learningandyearning.com/black-walnuts

All the best Jan