Healthy Facts - Here are five:
1. British asparagus is packed full of goodness, so not only are you getting a delicious vegetable but a healthy one too.
2. Eating asparagus promotes healthy bacteria in the large intestine and can help reduce bloating.
3. Asparagus contains vitamin K, essential for healthy blood clotting.
4. It is a rich source of vitamin C, which boosts your immune system.
5. Asparagus is a mild diuretic and is believed to help detoxify the body.
Did You Know:
2. That it's dubbed the Usain Bolt of the vegetable world... British Asparagus can grow up to 10cm in one day.
3. It's in season (UK) from the end of April to June, and you can pick up British asparagus in all major supermarkets when the season is in full swing. You can also find it in greengrocers, farm shops, markets and from lots of other growers.
Growing British Asparagus:
Some say that growing British Asparagus is a labour of love, as each spear is harvested by hand when it reaches just the right height.
With this years weather ... a cool, crisp spring, not too wet, not too dry means that we should be on course for a great crop. There are many fantastic asparagus growers who are behind the delicious spears we’ve come to expect!
Check that quiche is properly cooked by placing a knife in centre of quiche - it should come out clean.
Also as ovens vary just keep an eye on the quiche while cooking.
This quiche tastes delicious eaten hot or cold.