2 to 3 lb butternut squash, cut in half, pith and seeds removed
1 lb ground (minced) beef
8 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ lb mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp sea salt
ground pepper to taste
½ tsp dried thyme
1 TB fresh chives, chopped for garnish
1. Preheat oven. 350°F (180°C/Gas 4).
2. Place squash cut side down in a roasting pan in a ½ inch water and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, on a medium heat sauté bacon, onion and mushrooms for 8 minutes.
4. Add beef and remaining ingredients (except chives) and continue to cook for 15 minutes and then let cool.
5. Scoop most of the pulp from the squash and add to beef mix.
6. Fill squash halves with mix, return to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and serve garnished with fresh chives.
Original recipe idea from Chris Kresser here
Butternut squash is one of the most nutritious and healthiest vegetables you can eat, with a rich array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as significant amounts of digestive fiber.
It not only tastes great, it is also low in calories, yet surprisingly filling. Many people would do well to replace fattening potato products with the far healthier and nutritionally superior butternut squash. Find out more here