Total Pageviews

Friday 29 August 2014

A Mothers Musings


I've always liked this picture by Don Hatfield, we bought a print of it years ago, and it holds many special memories of times and years pleasantly spent by the sea as the children were growing up.

The years go by so quickly. I think it is important to hold on to special memories, the good and the not so good, that is what makes our life.

All too soon those young children have grown and fled the nest .....and they have children of their own. Suddenly it's Grandma and Grandad as well as still being a mum and dad. Sometimes it means children at University - for some it may mean sons/daughters going into our armed forces. Whatever path our children take our love is always with them.

But what do you do when your nest is empty, you may feel un-balanced, there is an uncanny silence about the place. Circumstances may mean you have to move house, downsize ......which could result in more anxiety. 

You want to call ...but at the same time realise that growing children do need their space, they also need to settle into their lives, wherever it takes them. Still you worry - it's what mothers do and I suspect fathers do too.    

Perhaps, I'll just send a text - say hello and how are you? A phone call may be too intrusive? Yes, a text will be fine and it's so nice to hear 'yes I'm fine mum'. Of course if I hear more, that's good too, in fact some of the text messages we share make me smile 'out loud' so to speak

Such a simple contact with a loved one (or good friend) just eases the mind, everything is OK and life continues down it's winding path. 

It's good to know that we are in each others thoughts, that contact is there and of course when you speak on the phone, or see them, even better.

I've always enjoyed being a mum and now a Grandma, I've been privileged.

Thanks for reading this ...... 'Mothers Musings'

All the best Jan

6 comments:

Gwen said...

:: hugs ::

I think that same artist (or one with a very similar style) did ones with young (two) daughters, and I had a couple as 'wall plates' back in the late 70's/early 80's. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I am sure many have similar musings :)

tess said...

nice picture!!!

Anonymous said...

It is difficult to adjust but it is something we have to do and fill our time with other things. I started yoga. This was something i always wanted to do. I enjoy it.

Hannah M

Lynda said...

Nicely said Jan :) This is the main reason I'm on Facebook, it's an easy way to keep a little contact without being overbearing. It's strange being the Nana... it just seems like yesterday that I had the little children. Sad yet happy :)295

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks to all those who have read "A Mothers Musings"

Thanks to Gwen, Tess, Lynda and the two anonymous who kindly left comments.

All the best Jan