1 head of fennel, cut into slender wedges through the root (save any feathery tops)
1 small onion, sliced
1tbsp olive oil
1/2tsp fennel seed
a pinch of grated lemon zest
1 tin of sardines in olive oil
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1tbsp toasted pinenuts
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the fennel and onion. Fry at a high heat until beginning to caramelize.
2. Add the fennel seed and cook for another 30seconds.
3. Stir in the sardines, breaking them up with your spoon, and the lemon zest. Cook, stirring often, until the sardines have collapsed and the mixture is beginning to caramelize on the bottom of the pan.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, just letting them heat through and collapse a little in the mixture, keep scraping at the bottom of the pan to release the delicious gunk there.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts and any feathery tops of fennel you have saved.
Original Recipe here
Hope you enjoy this Sicilian Style Feast ...
All the Best Jan
Love sardines. Will give this a try.
Many thanks for your comment Jenny - hope you enjoy this, I'm sure you will.
All the best Jan
My grandma used to make me sardines when I stayed at her house as a child, it's not something I've ever eaten since. Isn't it funny how you have strong recollections of enjoying a certain food yet you've never made it yourself.
Hi Jo ... Like you I can remember sardines when growing up. I wonder did they perhaps 'go out of fashion'?
They are certainly enjoyed in our house - good healthy low carb food.
Many thanks for your comment.
All the best Jan.
Post a Comment