Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 March 2017

Basque Chicken Fricassee : A Tasty Dish


Did you know that Basque chicken is called Poulet Basquaise in France, and this dish is similar to chicken fricassée, but with tomatoes, green peppers and Bayonne ham. It seems that the recipe was created in a Paris restaurant and has nothing to do with the Basque region!
Now a fricassee is halfway between a sauté and a stew. A true classic, and there are many variations, it relies on humble ingredients and just a single pot. It's the original French comfort food, simmered chicken with hearty vegetables in a rich sauce/stock.

This recipe suggestion for Basque Chicken Fricassee seems to be a merger of the two ideas, it takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook. Have a look at the recipe below and see if you think you may give this a try ... indeed perhaps you already have this as a favourite dish!

Ingredients:
Serves Four
50ml olive oil
4 chicken legs
50g ham, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
2 large plum tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, finely sliced
50g whole green olives
50ml sherry
600ml chicken stock
salt
pepper

Method:
1. In a large heatproof casserole dish, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat and sear the chicken legs until golden all over. Remove and drain to one side on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Add the onion to the dish and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped pepper and ham and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

2. Deglaze the pan with the sherry, stirring the base and sides well to dissolve any residue. Add the chicken legs back to the dish along with the tomato and olives and cover with the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.

3. Cover the dish and lower to a simmer, cooking the chicken gently for 25-35 minutes until cooked and tender. Cut into a thick chunk of chicken and check that it is cooked through, with no pink showing. Adjust the seasoning once the chicken is cooked, then spoon into serving bowls.

Each serving:
Carbohydrate 9.4g Protein 27.9g Fibre 3.2g Fat 11.7g

Idea from
here

All the best Jan

16 comments:

Jo said...

I love simple recipes like this and this one looks very tasty. I think I'll leave the olives out though.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Sounds yummy. Hey Guys - have an amazing rest of the week.

Tom said...

...chicken is a staple for me!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, sounds like another great chicken recipe. Thanks for sharing. Have a happy day!

Stephanie said...

This sounds absolutely amazing, dear Jan! I always love seeing your recipes...thank you for sharing.

Hugs to you!

Valerie-Jael said...

Oooooh, so yummy, I wish I could beam a plateful over here! Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

My goodness this sure looks tasty! We eat a lot of chicken in our home and I must give this one a try. Have a nice week. ♥

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Yum, looks like comfort food to me. ;-)

Jean said...

I made this tonight and it is delicious! Definitely one for the recipe book - thank you.

JFM said...

OMG Jan...I haven't eaten yet and now I'm really hungry :}

Happy Tuesday!!!

Kezzie said...

That just looks and sounds sublime! I would miss chicken if I totally went veggie!!
My Dad's favourite meal my Stepmum cooks is Chicken Basque!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We love using ripe red peppers in many of our recipes. They add so much sweetness. I'm going to the Farmer's mkt this week to get lots of good organic veggies to make sure we are eating as well as we can. My husband doesn't have much appetite and he's lost a lot of weight so we have to be careful that he is getting enough vitamins. If you have any suggestions on healthy snacks that have higher calories, please let me know. He needs to gain 10 to 15 pounds. Thanks so much for your prayers too. Hugs, Diane

Martha said...

I really enjoy a simple recipe like this one. And very delicious, too!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Diane ... the healthy snacks we eat are things like avocado, nuts, cheese, hard boiled egg, ham to name a few.
I think it a good choice to buy and use organic vegetables.

You may find some ideas here https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/snacks

or here http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/08/07/best-low-carb-snacks/

I hope once your husband gets the results of his tests, you will be able to move forward with confidence.

My good wishes and thoughts to you both

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

This looks so yummy!!!

Lisa said...

This dish conjures up sunny summer eating. I'll raise a glass of red to that!
Lisa x