Total Pageviews

Saturday 11 March 2017

Herby Spring Greens : A Great Low Carb Side Dish


Looking back to my early years I can still remember being encouraged to 'eat my greens' ... and to be honest I didn't really enjoy them. As a child I used to love peas and carrots, and I'm sure I used to wonder why couldn't we have peas and carrots every day! Of course as the years go by your tastes change, and if you are encouraged to try out different tastes and textures this can lead to you enjoying a wide variety of different foods. 


I'm sure we all have our favourites, and yes, some foods that we don't like ... but just by looking at this colourful side dish, doesn't it make you want to eat some of these wonderful herby spring greens?

This simple side dish is ready in a flash ... why not try it with grilled fish fillets for a delicious dinner!

Ingredients:
Serves Four
15g unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
400g spring greens, leaves separated, washed and thickly sliced
14g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to garnish
14g fresh mint, chopped, plus extra to garnish

Method:
1. Melt the butter in a large wok or frying pan. Add the garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the spring greens and herbs and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until the greens are just tender. If the greens start to stick to the wok, add a dash of water rather than extra butter – the steam will help them cook. Serve garnished with the extra fresh herbs.

Nutritional Details:
Each serving provides
3.5g carbohydrate 2.4g fibre 3.4g protein 4.2g Fat

Recipe idea from here

I think the fresh parsley and mint used to garnish the dish really adds the finishing touch.

All the best Jan

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a very refreshing dish. Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks great, I just came home with various salads so will be making something similar for lunch today. Have a nice weekend, hugs, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I have always loved most veggies and salads. It is my hubby the diabetic that does not like his greens. I am trying to change his eating habits. Thanks for sharing. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Latane Barton said...

That does look good... and so healthy.

Tom said...

...looks mighty good.

JFM said...

This looks so fresh and green and ready for spring...yummmmmmm!!!

Martha said...

This is a great recipe. I find that I've enjoyed these types of meals more and more as I've gotten older.

Christine said...

yummy and so good for us!

William Kendall said...

Sounds good!

Linda said...

This looks absolutely scrumptious, Jan, and I love the shades of green!

sage said...

I've been eating a lot of salad--the lettuce train is running now (come summer it will be too hot). This salad looks wonderful.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you Jan, looking for more salad recipes. We are eating more and more greens, hubby said we are now 'veggie heads' :)

Revrunner said...

VERY low carb. No croutons? :-)

happyone said...

Oh yes, that does look good. I've always liked my greens. : )

Bob Bushell said...

Lovely jubbley, green is the colour.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Super green salad with a side of protein ☺ just been way back checking for recipes I might have missed Jan, so many will be made at some point in the near future. Loved the look of the spinach and goats cheese pie!

Crafty Green Poet said...

that looks delicious!

Snowbird said...

That does indeed look utterly delicious! Perfect for spring.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks Jan! Yummy!