Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 March 2017

Sunshine Peppers and Pork Casserole : Low Carb

How about this colourful low carb dish. It's a 'Sunshine Peppers and Pork Casserole' dish  ... with it's bright colours it could well brighten up the cloudiest of days.
This is what I used and how I made it ... I can also tell you it didn't hang around on the plate long either ... delicious was the word used when the meal was complete!


Ingredients
Serves 2/3
450g diced leg (or shoulder) of pork
1/2 large red pepper
1/2 large orange pepper
1/2 large yellow pepper
1 carrot

1 onion (you can use white or red) sliced
mushrooms, a handful 4 - 6
salt and black pepper for seasoning
mixed herbs
gravy / stock (of choice) about 3/4 pint (to cover meat e
tc)


Method
Wipe / wash meat and all vegetables with water before using
Put oven on to warm up. Gas 4, Electric 180
Dice up meat into approx 1 inch 'chunks' and place in oven proof casserole dish
Remove skin from onion and slice, add to casserole dish
De-seed, as appropriate all, peppers and cut into square pieces, add to casserole dish
Peel and slice carrot and add to casserole dish
Slice or quarter mushrooms and add to casserole dish
season with salt and black pepper
add herbs of your choice - I used dried mixed herbs
Make up your stock and pour over meat and vegetables to cover
Put lid on casserole dish, place in warmed oven, cook for approx 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.

Tip - I usually gently stir all ingredients at least twice during cooking


Whilst casserole is cooking prepare any accompanying vegetables

Serve on warmed plates and enjoy

How about this tip for preparing onions:

First slice off the top of the onion (leave the root on for the moment), then remove the papery skin and any brown outer layers.
To chop the onion, cut in half from top to bottom. Put the cut side down and make a number of horizontal cuts towards, but not quite reaching, the root. Then make as many vertical cuts through the onion, again not quite reaching the root. Holding the onion very firmly and with the knife blade at right angles to the first set of cuts that you made, slice down vertically - the onion will fall away in small pieces as you go. Continue cutting until you reach the root, which you can now discard.
To slice, trim the root off, then cut in slices moving from the root end towards the top. Leave as slices or separate each one out into rings.

All onions are best prepared just before you use them.

All the best Jan

18 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I like the look of this and as it's just in one pot I can probably manage it. So it has been printed out - thank you!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the colors in this meal do look pretty. Sounds delicious too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...colorful.

Jo said...

It looks delicious. I find brightly coloured food very appetising.

only slightly confused said...

Sounds lovely......I think I just might try that one.

sage said...

Sounds good!

Prunella Pepperpot said...

That looks like a delicious hearty meal, great for a day like today wet and windy.
Have a wonderful Wednesday Jan and your post reminds me that I must be off and cook my own family's dinner!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh my, I would love a plateful right now! Thanks so much for sharing! Hugs, Valerie

happyone said...

That sure does look good. I like when food is colorful too. Makes it so much more appetizing.

Rue said...

That looks really yummy, Jan!

Great post about bell peppers too :)

I hope you're having a great week.

xo,
rue

William Kendall said...

It sounds good. I'd have to be careful with the peppers.

Christine said...

Looks so good!

Margaret D said...

Looks good and reads well.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I came to visit from Sandra's blog and got interested in the fat video below. Quite informative and supports my belief, too. Although I'm a vegetarian and not diabetic, I appreciated reading a few of your blog posts. I'm glad Sandra showcased your blog today, or I would never have heard of it.

Nicola said...

Yummy! I'll have to exchange the pork though. Been told to lay off it for a while - which is a complete annoyance because it's my favourite meat. Thanks for the post!! Happy eating.

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks so much Jan! Delicious!

Linda said...

I love pork and all the vegetables in this dish, I will have to try this, Jan!

Lisa said...

This would probably be better enjoyed in our house with chicken but peppers are one of the things I can normally get them all to eat so I may give it a go.
Thanks for sharing.
Lisa x