Total Pageviews

Saturday 27 July 2013

“Long is the way. And hard. That out of hell leads up to light.” Part 1

I have used that quote from Milton before on this blog. To some it may seem a bit heavy, or over the top, but trust me, diabetes can be a living hell for some. Two weeks after my diagnosis of type two diabetes, I buried my Father. He was a type two diabetic, and his last fifteen years were blighted with diabetic complications. Two heart attacks, a diabetic foot, and a once very strong man reduced to a physical wreck. This did not need to be. He came from a generation who believed Doctors and medical people were above reproach and followed their instructions to the letter. The standard NHS diet for diabetics and took his medication religiously. When he finally checked out, he was using insulin and ten different medications, he was a credit to big pharma.

I was given the standard NHS diabetic dietary information, a prescription for two metformin a day, and told to come back in three months time. This is pretty routine in the UK as can be seen on forums and blogs. Well, that was easy, sorted eh ? no way. Following the NHS diet and taking my metformin, my BG numbers never got better than twelve. Very basic research had informed me these sort of numbers lead to diabetic complications. I joined the diabetes.co.uk forum and it was one of the best and luckiest decisions of my life. I say lucky, because just as I joined, a man called Fergus Craig had just joined. Fergus was a long term type one diabetic. He had gone from obesity, poor control and the onset of complications, to safe weight, and HbA1c in the fours. From crashing his car into a lamp post, due to a hypo, to riding in 100 mile bike races and running marathons. He achieved this remarkable turn around by way of a strict Bernstein level lowcarb high fat diet. His teachings made perfect sense to me, and I gave lowcarb a try, I was I believe his first lowcarb disciple, and I reported my success on the forum.(My success stories and over 2000 of my posts were deleted by Cugila the forum mod) *  By lowcarbing, my HbA1c had gone from almost twelve (BG 26) to in the fives within three months, fasting  BG from12-14 to 4-6, trigs from over three to less than 1, and around 50lbs in weight lost. Other newly diagnosed forum diabetics achieved the same great results as me. People like Wiflib, Ian D, John Wilson, Ray Davies, Graham and many more.

So many posting great success stories, many on nil or minimal meds. So many reporting non diabetic BG numbers and easy weight loss, it was brilliant, Fergus had shown us the Holy Grail, who could argue with the lowcarb way of life, what could possibly go wrong ? I consider myself a street wise sort of guy, not easily taken in or fooled, but Jeez, how naive was I, when it came to the crazy world of diabetes. Almost immediately, Fergus and his new recruits came under attack. Forum mods to fellow diabetics and even a Dietician, put the boot in at every opportunity. Lowcarb antis, trolls and allsorts came out of the woodwork. To cut a long story short. Fergus walked, some of us lowcarbers got banned, and the lunatics took over the asylum. History has repeated itself on what I now call the forum of flog. Other staunch lowcarb promoters have been banned and the lunacy continues at the flog to this present day.

Eddie

Read Fergus’ stunning and uplifting story here.


* Cugila’s reign came to an end when he banned Dr.Jay Wortman a type two diabetic and lowcarb expert. With some help from Jimmy Moore, Graham and yours truly we saw Cugila off, arguably our finest hour.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha must be quiet you have rolled out the mysterious Fergus

Lowcarb team member said...

"Anonymous said...

Ha must be quiet you have rolled out the mysterious Fergus"

Never quiet here sunshine.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

so where is he then - has not been seen in public for years!

Lowcarb team member said...

I talk to Fergus on a regular basis on the phone. When are you going to learn to start a sentence with a capital letter, we know who you are ! Thank you once again for adding to our page views. Come back any time.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

i! do not believe you he probably stays away on purpose why would anyone want to be associated with you!

I am scared of eddie haha said...

I am afaid - not!

Lowcarb team member said...

Check out the comments, a lot of people want to be associated with me. I agree not the sort of numbskulls that are so illiterate they can’t start a sentence with a capital letter. Thanks again for upping our page views.

Eddie x

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree there are a couple of saddos xxxxxxxxx

Lowcarb team member said...

Anon

What’s it like skulking in the shadows hiding as an anon. Frightened and living in fear. Without the courage to post under even an anon forum name. No cause to fight for, living in a world of fantasy and failure. Tough I reckon, but hey, if it turns you on, keep coming back and adding to our post count, the more, the merrier.

Eddie

paul1976 said...

looks like the penguin is back eh guys? What a treat!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Paul

“It’s the haters that made me famous” Jimmy Moore

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Anonymous said...
so where is he then - has not been seen in public for years!

Obviously a stupid comment from a stupid anonymous troll!

Fergus on the drums with his band in the recording studio earlier this year: Land of Cakes - Heavy Handed

Another tune from the EP. Land of Cakes - Low Winter Sun

Graham

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done Graham, keep sticking it up those trolls.

Eddie

Lynda said...

I'm not part of this lunacy but I am astounded that low carbers are "banned".

In New Zealand - on the official Diabetes website of our government they state ridiculous stuff like "there is not correlation to eating sugar and getting diabetes" and "sugar used to be restricted on a diabetic's diet but not now - there is no difference between sugar and other carbs so they are all allowed equally"... or words to that effect.

Crazy, lunatic, ridiculous stuff. We know better :)

Lynda said...

Actually Eddie... read this and weep. Not sure what the NHS says but this is the bull being taught here in New Zealand.

http://www.diabetes.org.nz/food_and_nutrition/healthy_food_choices__and__tips/food/sugar

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks Lynda please see DNZ post.

Blogger Lynda said...

"I'm not part of this lunacy but I am astounded that low carbers are Banned".

Stand by for part two.

Eddie