Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 July 2013

The small things in life!

Life can be very mad and maddening at times, sometimes you are up, sometimes you are down. So isn’t it great when you can step back and think, thank goodness for small things that can and do help to uplift us. They make us smile and it‘s like a small piece of magic has momentarily entered our world and the madness, trouble and grief disappears.

Like it’s magic when my youngest grandchild says “hiya” to me with such an adorable smile. Or perhaps it’s when my grandson rushes up to me with a big welcome hug and kiss. You instantly smile and smiles are so infectious, could we do with more of them?.

The other day I was in a bank along with several other customers and staff, where most of us were waiting patiently to be served. A young boy came in with his mother. There was something about him, his demeanour, the bounce in his step that made most of us look and smile at him. He patiently waited his turn  and then went up to the cashier to pay in some “birthday money.” With a big smile on his face and politeness that was refreshing to see he asked, “could he pay some birthday money into his savings account. He was saving up for a computer game a Lego one he told her, and I‘ve nearly got enough now”. The cashier visibly melted when she smiled back at him and said “of course you can”. At that point I glanced around me and it was interesting to see that everyone in the bank now had a smile, the atmosphere was more relaxed …it was a small piece of magic in an incredibly busy day that for a moment in time bought a smile to a lot of people. It’s the small things in life that mean so much.


All the best Jan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In terms of smiling I’d recommend watching the Imagine Woody Allen documentary that was on last night.

There was a great line from his early stand up where Woody, takes out a very large old fashioned pocket watch and with a voice rich with emotion says; ‘It’s a gorgeous gold pocket watch, my Grandfather, on his deathbed, sold me this.’

Best

Dillinger

Unknown said...

I have 6 granddaughters ranging in age from 10 down to 1 month old. Four of them live here in town. When we take them to see their great grandmother at the Assisted Living Facility, you see the other residents faces light up with delight at the children coming to visit. It's magical.

Lowcarb team member said...

Cheers Dillinger

I did see the Woody Allen documentary advertised. He's done some great stuff - will have to try and watch it on catch up tv.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Marc

Absolutely agree, faces do light up and it makes such a difference. Our local school which is within walking distance of an old peoples home encourage visits to be made. A small group of children, with their teacher will perhaps read a poem or short story to the 'old folks' or perhaps sing them some songs. It's amazing the difference a 15/20 minute visit can make the smiles are great to see.

All the best Jan

Anonymous said...

I agree smiles are infectious and we need more of them, especially now when I have just read the article about thalidomide being used in Brazil,very upsetting, I don't feel like smiling at the moment.However, that will change later as I am having tea with my daughter.

Jeanne



Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for your comment Jeanne.
I hope you enjoyed tea with your daughter. It's nice to see the family isn't it.

All the best Jan