Total Pageviews

Friday 26 July 2013

Lowcarb not only for type two diabetics !

"My son has type 1 diabetes , aged 13. We all eat a low carb diet. No processed food. Only my cooking. I can make almost anything low carb: cookies, cakes, waffles, brownies, pasta from zucchini, rice from cauliflower, cheesecake, chocolate mousse. It is so delicious, and best of all tasty because it contains healthy fats.

HIS BG’S are always normal if he eats my cooking, His HbA1c is 5.5, and apparently the ONLY patient his paediatrician has with these numbers. He also exercises regularly and spends time in the sun to synthesise vitamin D. I research every week about true nutrition and physiology. 


The health benefits from eating low carb are substantial and it is honestly very easy to keep my son healthy this way. And yes, I was told NOT to put my son on a low carb diet by his diabetes educator. BUt, as a mother, I will do what every I can to stop my child from developing diabetic complications, and I believe I have found the "magic secret" to diabetes control, except that it is not magic and it is just so simple." 

Nicked without permission from the lowcarb Dietitian site.

Eddie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic read. It once again shows what can be achieved.

Anne

Anonymous said...

My nephew is a type 1 diabetic and the family do struggle with keeping his numbers steady. I have told them about this and also about the lowcarb dietitian site. Thank you.
Heather

Lowcarb team member said...

Heather

You may wish to read this story about a man called Fergus Craig. He is a long time type one diabetic, who went from obesity, very poor control, and diabetic complications to becoming a marathon runner with a long term HbA1c in the fours. He taught me and many others the way to diabetic salvation.

http://www.dsolve.com/sucess-stories/199-fergus

Eddie

Lisa said...

Hi Eddie, Glad you used my comment on your blog. I hope I can inspire other parents of type 1 children to use a low carb diet to control BG's. My son's basal rate of insulin is higher than his bolus amounts, which totally confuses his healthcare team, but this is because he doesn't eat meals containing large amounts of carbs! So he only needs to use small amounts of insulin. I have also learnt that high amounts of insulin are toxic, as well as high levels of glucose circulating in the blood. His doctor says that you would never know he actually has diabetes because his blood work is so perfect. For anyone who argues that eating low carb is too restrictive, I absolutely disagree. Last night I threw a low carb dinner party (didn't tell the guests however!) We had roast pork and lamb, chicken stuffed with spinach and sun dried tomatoes, cauliflower in cheese sauce and steamed vegetables tossed in butter. For dessert we had cheesecake and chocolate mousse. And when my son went to bed after eating all that, his BGs were perfect, as they always are after eating my cooking!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Lisa

Thank you for letting the post stand on this blog. Your son is very lucky to have you helping him. As I am sure you know very few diabetics have his control. Type one diabetics have lived to be 80 or 90 years of age, when they have great control.

The very best to you and yours.

Eddie