Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 January 2014

DCUK Quote of the day !

"You may want to consider some of the newer diabetes medications such as exenatide, liraglutide or dapagliflozin, especially if you are overweight. Combined with metformin they can produce good results."

Osidge forum mod.

Talking to a type two diabetic who among other things said.

"In the past 2 years I have also been put on gliclazide but over the past 4 month my sugar levels have been in double figures the lowest being 15.7 the heighest at 29.8."

Type two meds are doing nothing for this forum member. Would any straight thinking person suggest more of the same ? Did not the ACCORD trial end early because too many diabetics were dying when a multi med regime was tried on long term out of control diabetics. Does Osidge actually believe a man running numbers between 15 and 29, (for US x 18) is going to get safe with more type two medication ? If so, the guy is a liability as a member, let alone a mod.

How long will it be before the forum has some knowledgeable mods ? People reckon I have become obsessed with the forum, but day after day rubbish information is being handed out, very often by the moderators. It would not matter if it was the sort of diabetes forum that gets 10 posts a day, mostly from the same three members, but DCUK love to tell us it is the largest forum in the UK. DCUK are doing so many diabetics no favours at all !

BTW I was running those sort of numbers on two metformin and never better than 12. Within five days of low carbing my numbers dropped to non diabetic. They have stayed that way for over five years.

Link to thread here.

Eddie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as you often say it was ever thus LOL

Anonymous said...

Have you considered the possibility Osidge is a pharmaceutical rep.

Jimmy

Lowcarb team member said...

Re the insulin T2 thread I can remember when my Practice Nurse was trying to put me on insulin while holding A1c numbers in the early 6;s because there had been a )push ' from the PCT including a financial incentive to get all T2s onto insulin.
This initiative had been focused on by the Nurses both in hospitals and GP practices. Many Drs disagreed and found this highly disturbing.
I totally refused as I already lost confidence in my treatment and wasn’t prepared to risk what might be my fate on insulin.
My GP agreed and said it had health implications for me.
Now just a few years on the idea has been quietly dropped - but too late for some.
Various bits of information have found their way into mainstream thinking which are now being confirmed by studies such as that in the locked thread.
As we all know these things can take a long time to percolate down the NHS so patients need to be aware of these matters they can make informed choices about their treatment.
There seems no logic in preventing awareness on the one hand and encouraging people to ask for more meds on the other.
I am sure there are HCPs out there who would prescribe new medications - merely added to the old if a patient appeared to be knowledgeable.
I have suffered from T2 oral drugs and almost suffered again through the ignorance of a Nurse.
It’s a minefield as is moderating on such a forum.
I feel that he rules should be applied equally to members and moderators though - but who is to be the judge of that?

Kath